Deco QoS is skewed...good info to know

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-02 22:53:44 - last edited 2022-09-06 17:26:53
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

This is really an FYI for folks who are using Deco QoS.

I've done quite a bit of diagnostic testing.  My ISP was just out yesterday and did cable modem bandwidth testing. It was consistently at 690 download and 31 upload speed.  Then I hooked up my new Deco AXE5300 from Costco.

I set my QoS settings to upload of 31 and download to 690.

When I ran speed tests without QoS, I pretty much got the same as the modem tests...690 download and about 30 upload.

When I turned on QoS, I was getting around 520 download consistently.  Hum...

Then I adjusted my QoS download all the way up to 840 (incrementally over several tests) and my speed tests were finally showing around 690 once again...going through the Deco mesh router.

In summary, when Deco asks you to enter your maximum QoS download speed (or upload), you should know what your speeds REALLY are without using the Deco router (i.e. pure modem speeds) and then incrementally adjust your settings in Deco QoS until your speed tests reach the modem speeds, or basically max out.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco QoS is skewed...good info to know
2022-09-06 17:26:02

@paultechguy,

Thanks for the information, I will look into this to see why this may be occurring. 

To confirm what you are saying, are you setting your QoS settings to the speeds that are expected from your ISP or were you incrementally increasing until it maxed out. 

Is the 840 above your expected speeds from your ISP?

Options
Re:Deco QoS is skewed...good info to know
2022-09-06 20:47:47

@Riley_S thanks for the ping.

First, I'm on a direct CAT6 connection, no Wi-Fi.

My ISP says they provide me 600 download, but I know they normally provide more.  When they were here last week testing, maybe 6 times they tested the bits off the modem at 690 download.  I initially set my Deco QoS download to 690, but never got near that much.  I simply disabled QoS on the Deco and did many more tests...then back to seeing around 690.  So I turned QoS back on and just slowly began incrementing the download until my speed tests were showing roughly 690.  Right now, my QoS download is set to 840 and this gets me 690 download which is what my ISP provides.

I've not done a similar process with upload, but probably should.

Hope that helps.

I used to have Google Mesh Wi-Fi and am enjoying the Deco app more than Google Home Wi-Fi.  Thanks for a great product and let me know if I can assist.

Take care.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 506

Replies: 2

Related Articles