Disable Wifi radios

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Disable Wifi radios

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Disable Wifi radios
Disable Wifi radios
2022-09-10 08:36:46
Tags: #Feature Request #Firmware Update #Switch off Wifi radios
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

As a installation mechanic I've installed many Deco Mesh sets. Normally I don't really go deeper into settings or parental controls, just basic setup. However, now one of my clients really wanted to be able to furn off the Wifi for each individual Deco M5 unit. This client lives in an apartment building and his cable modem is located in a hallway cabinet, quite far from his living room. The setup there is made with 2 Deco M5 units. The cable modem is set to bridge mode and the 1st Deco set as router. The 2nd Deco as Access Point. So like this:

Cable modem -> Deco M5 (Router) -> 8p Switch (unmanaged) -> 2nd Deco M5 (Access Point mode)

My client is sensitive to (the idea of) Wifi radiation and wants to be able to only switch it on when they need it for a while. So, by default they want to have it switched off. Although I never looked into the features of the Deco and whether one could switch off the Wifi radios of any given Deco unit, It turns out, you cannot! There is a setting in the App that allows you to turn off the 2.4Ghz Radio or the 5Ghz Radio, but you cannot switch off both.You'll receive a warning that always one radio should be switched on.

We looked into to smart plugs and for the access point Deco this could be installed. A bit of a primitive way to do it, but it would work. However, once you switch off the Deco unit with your smart plug, you don't have a wifi signal anymore to turn the smart plug back on... At least not for that area. So that is more or less a catch 22. Furthermore, I looked into smart plugs with wired LAN and there are some available, however if you would do the same for the Main Deco (Router), you would also loose your whole wired network which we would want to leave in tact.

All and all creating a solution like this is a bit much for something that should be just available in the settings.

Can you add these features?
- Switch off Wifi Radios for individual Deco Units.
- Add Wifi configuration in the web interface configuration page of the Deco system. (so you can turn it back on when there is no Wifi)

Even if the app would also work through the cloud, Wifi config in the web interface would be nice to have.
Thank you for making a nice product, but these would make the product even more complete.

Installation Mechanic for business and home office.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 337

Replies: 0

Tags

Feature Request Firmware Update
Switch off Wifi radios
Related Articles