Download speed throttling while using Client VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-01 21:44:20 - last edited 2022-10-02 01:38:02
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I'm having bizarre download throttling issues while using Clinet VPN on my router.

My normal download speed while using no VPN is ~600 Mbps. While using OpenVPN  on my desktop (through OpenVPN Connect clinet) my speed slows down to ~300 Mbps, which is normal and to be expected. However, when I use OpenVPN setup with the exact same configuration file on my router, the speed is being throttled all the way to <10 Mbps!

I've tried changing servers, protocols, etc - nothing helps. And here is the most weird part - while debugging I've tied using both my desktop OpenVPN and Client VPN on the router (using the same config) - speed goes back up to ~300 Mbps! This blows my mind away... Could it be that router VPN is disabled when it sees the VPN traffic from a client? Weird.

Anyway, would appreciate any advice on how to fix or debug this.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Download speed throttling while using Client VPN
2022-10-13 04:12:30 - last edited 2022-10-13 04:13:09

@Bort84 Based on this post looks like this might by a CPU issue. Is there some way to check CPU utilization on this junk? Or maybe connect through ssh?

Options
Re:Download speed throttling while using Client VPN
2022-10-13 04:30:45

@Bort84 You can find is a great article (can't post the link here, just google "restoreprivacy vpn router") describing the issue. Pay attention to "why most VPN routers are slow". Its my bad that I foolishly expected VPN client feature to work. “Let the buyer beware.” But shame on tp-link regardless. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 297

Replies: 2

Tags

Related Articles