M3W prevents various M5 1.6.x features from working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-08 17:26:48
Model: Deco M3W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20210106 Rel. 65893

Please indicate when the M3W firmware will be updated to support correct use of the M5 1.6.x firmware

I have site issues which I assumed would be addressed by the addition of two M3W. Instead, their inclusion makes the situation confused - if not worse!

Options
3 Reply
Re:M3W prevents various M5 1.6.x features from working
2022-10-09 06:04:20

@RomseyGuy 

I think Deco M3W might be on the lowest Deco family line and the firmware upgrade has a long way to go. And I would like to share a workaround with you if you are interested:

set everything up before adding M3W, such as choosing the signal source/connection preference. Or if you haven't got 2*M3W yet, I would say go for one more Deco M5.

Options
2022-10-09 12:39:38 - last edited 2022-10-09 12:43:31

I already have purchased the 2 M3W devices

As described, *very* clearly here: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-m3w/

> Deco M3W is compatible with all Deco routers to form Mesh network. Enjoy all functions of the main Deco router* wherever you are at home.

>

> Check how to configure mixed Deco network >>

>

> *The functions of mixed Deco system are consistent with that of the main Deco router.

Note the use of the * to emphasise that the *main* Deco determines function:

> *The functions of mixed Deco system are consistent with that of the main Deco router.

This clearly isn't the case!

The presence of the M3Ws *prevents* selection of which WiFi A/P to connect to - one of the *best* features of 1.6.x firmware

Options
2022-10-21 18:38:03

@RomseyGuy,

Going through our documentation on the new feature, it looks like it was one of the first deco models to have this feature added. According to the documentation on the feature, the feature is only available when all deco nodes on the network have the feature, unfortunately. It appears they are simply testing this feature and exploring the possibility of adding the feature to other deco models through firmware updates, so that signal source selection can be used in mixed deco networks.

Unfortunately, things like this happen when the team is introducing a large feature, as it would be impossible to develop the feature for all Deco models in a timely manner, and the technology simply won't work with the way the other devices are configured to receive and transmit data. This was a highly requested feature for some time, so I am sure increasing the compatibility of the feature is a priority.

I will try and touch base with the team to see if there are any updates about the feature, such as where we are in the development process and if there are upcoming plans for models that don't support the feature. I will also try to find out the technical reasons why the addition of m3w removes the function

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 387

Replies: 3

Related Articles