Backhaul Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Backhaul Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Backhaul Questions
Backhaul Questions
2022-11-04 06:28:09
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 20201228 55057

Hello. (-:

This post is aboot the Deco P9 series. That didn't show in the device list so I chose the P7 option since that also has the powerline.

I've currently configured P9s as my mesh network because of the backhaul option. I was using an older Luma setup that I used a DLink av2000 powerline backhaul. System was super reliable but I thought it time for an upgrade. Here's my list of questions in no particular order. 

1. Is the built-in backhaul encrypted between units? I didn't see an option to turn that on or off anywhere.

2. Will it interfere with a different powerline system? I have a wired computer that can't be realistically moved that uses my old powerline adapter and I was hopeful the Decos would have the encryption enabled and the two systems would play nice with each other. They don't have to be comparable or compatible, they just need to ignore each other.

3. Would there be ANY benefit to having the Decos plugged into my current powerline backhaul if they don't interfere with each other? How would the Decos load balance between it's built-in powerline and a wired backhaul? 

4. Why doesn't my main Deco ( hub ) show the PLC on my network map? Is that normal or is there an issue with the device? The other P9s have the marking. The hub doesn't.

Oh, and one question not related to backhaul. The network scan shows heavy network congestion on the WiFi channels. The app's recommended I switch to a less crowded network. Is there a way to manually change my network channels to a less crowded channel or have the devices scan and change it automatically?

Thanks much for the time.

-.\\\ike

Options
4 Reply
Re:Backhaul Questions
2022-11-04 16:44:20

@MikeFromPA,

1. I believe that all Powerline Signals are encrypted to protect the data throughout your home.

2. From what I am reading online,  it is possible to have simultaneous powerline connections, except they will share the overall bandwidth. Some people are also mentioning that the way to do this is via a VLAN.

3. I would recommend not doing this, as the backhaul for the entire network will be affected by the bandwidth being used in another network. Normally, you can place additional Powerline Units on one powerline network, as long as there is one node that is transmitting the network. 

4. I would assume that the main deco does not show Powerline, as the main node is receiving its signal through an ethernet cable. The satellite nodes also operate as client devices in a mesh network, so this may also be why you only see it for the satellite nodes. 

5. The channel scan in the Deco App can sometimes provide this reading even after changing channels, as a result of the congestion that the deco is bringing to the channel. When the decos are rebooted, they will scan and select a new optimized channel automatically. You may also be able to find an optimize now feature in the Deco app.

Options
2022-11-05 07:46:07

@Riley_S 

Thanks for your response! 

1. I'm glad the data is encrypted because then it shouldn't interfere with my second question aboot having a different powerline backhaul. 

2 & 3. I wonder exactly how much bandwidth is available thru the electrical wires. I think I'd still have a slower backhaul than add hops between mesh nodes.

4. I'm not an engineer, but in my brain, the hub would almost have to be part of that backhaul to, shall we say, complete the circuit. Otherwise, the data would either loop continuously between the satellites never reaching the hub, or it would transmit wirelessly to the hub, defeating the whole idea behind having a backhaul in the first place. Obviously that's not happening, but as I've mentioned, I'm not an engineer. That's just the way I'm thinking about this. 

Have a GREAT day! 

Options
2022-11-07 18:49:46

@MikeFromPA,

The bandwidth available on your power lines would be determined by the Powerline Standard that is used in the devices attached to the line, as it is based off of specific frequencies that do not interfere with the Electrical 60Hz. This is why having one slower powerline unit on your network will slow the whole network down to the speed of that node, as it simply cannot handle the additional bandwidth and frequencies used to communicate with the newer Powerline Standards.

You may also be surprised at the performance of Powerline; wireless communications come with a lot of overhead, latency, and stability issues. All of these are not present in a Powerline Setup. While Gigabit Speeds aren't possible, the Powerline connectors are capable of providing plenty of bandwidth for normal use. The issue with Powerline is how difficult it can be to have a perfect Powerline network as a result of electrical interference from appliances, or noise filters at your home's breaker panel(Stopping connections from crossing circuits.

4. I think that the powerline indicator in the app is just an indicator of the Source of the Internet signal for that particular node, not how it is transmitting the network. This means that only the receiving Powerline nodes would have the indicator as they are the only nodes receiving a signal via Powerline, as the main node is connected to the internet via an Ethernet Cable.

Options
2022-11-09 04:37:55

@Riley_S My powerline is av2000, but honestly couldn't tell you aboot the TP-Link. As long as one of the powerline connections are encrypted, there shouldn't be an issue with the other, as each connection should ignore the other. In theory.

I think I read somewheres even if I had the TPLink powerline adapters, they wouldn't be compatible with the the towers.

Options