Deco M5s Drop Off Repeatedly after Deco X90 Firmware Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5s Drop Off Repeatedly after Deco X90 Firmware Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
34 Reply
Re:Deco M5s Drop Off Repeatedly after Deco X90 Firmware Update
2022-11-10 03:50:00

@LazyBrewer 

Hi, the reply indeed is not a solution. it just worked as a reference if new users happen to browse the same post.

The main point is we wish new users could reach technical support once they noticed they were having the same issue if they were willing to further troubleshoot with us.

As for why DNS worked, there is only one feedback so far. The user enabled LED control on Deco and the disconnection was reported on Deco APP. I have seen cases before the APP said satellites were offline, actually, it still worked fine and the LED was green. So I guess part of the online detection requests failed to be resolved by the current DNS server, which triggered the offline error. We still wait for the further update from the user to see whether the disconnection could be completely eliminated, and also would like to see if any other users reported DNS helpful.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-11-10 04:36:16

David-TP wrote

We still wait for the further update from the user to see whether the disconnection could be completely eliminated, and also would like to see if any other users reported DNS helpful.

@David-TP I wish I could help, but I've rolled back to the v1.1.2 firmware and can't afford to reapply the v1.1.3 update and break everything again. I need my network stable:)

Mark

Options
2022-11-10 08:39:03

@David-TP Hi, I changed the DNS as advised to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Since then the disconnections do not happen as often as before, bit STILL 1-2 times a day. So unfortunately NO definitive solution. 

Options
2022-11-11 01:18:10

@MaxHeadroom 

Thanks for the feedback and will update it to the senior engineer. Best regards!

Options
2022-11-11 05:27:55

@MaxHeadroom , with those DNS entries applied, I had witnessed (whether it by coincidence or not) better network stability for a number of days, but today something happened where it basically went back into a bad state and some (but not all or even the majority) of satellite Decos dropped.  I was unable to confirm the LED states at the time.

@David-TP  I confirmed my main Deco isn't an X90, but is actually an x5700, It may be a moot point as my understanding is they're identical (are they?).

I used Network Optimization in the app a couple times throughout the day, which didn't solve the issue of dropped Decos (3 of 8 satellites).  The whole network never fully came back until I started restarting Decos individually at different points in the day, from within the app. 

What's very odd is that (2) x68 Decos wouldn't come back at all for most of the day, until I finally rebooted an unrelated X5700, then magically I was back at 100%.  Huh?? 

Could they have had a corrupt or failed daisy-chain where the 2 problematic ones 'wanted' to connect through the x5700 I rebooted last, and failed to give up when they weren't connecting?  Aren't they designed to check for next/best available backhaul connections among themselves when an issue/outage of the one it originally connected through?  Just a theory, based on this instance.  Will test this again if it acts up in the same way again.  I hope that made any sense.

Anyone still reading and familiar with how your Network Map looked BEFORE the App update and/or firmware update....

Before the upgrades, did you usually have any satellites that typically piggy-backed off of Other satellites before getting to Main?

For me, that was common for a couple satellites, due to physical distance and/or structures in the way.  Very normal for them to do that, connections were reliable and performed decently.

And maybe it's just me and another theory, I could have swore I saw someone else pose the question here or in another post, but it almost seems as though the new programming prefers that satellites have a Direct connection to Main, at the cost of it being a seemingly poor connection.  In summary, I don't see nearly as much daisy-chaining as I used to, for better or worse.  In my case, seems worse so far.  Will keep an eye on it and report back if the recent behavior seems a trend or isolated incident.

Options
2022-11-13 10:15:52

@LazyBrewer plz advice how did you to downgrade 

Options
[Solution]Deco M5s Drop Off Repeatedly after Deco X90 Firmware Update-Solution
2022-11-14 12:06:08 - last edited 2022-11-25 03:32:39

Update:

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your cooperation so far.

We have recently released a Deco X90_V1_1.1.4 Build 20221114 new firmware which permanently fixed this issue, please check for firmware updates via the Deco app, or download the firmware on our official site and upgrade it via http://tplinkdeco.net manually.

How to Update the Firmware of Deco (Method 2 via web UI)

Happy Thanksgiving and wish you all the best!

Recommended Solution
Options
[Solution]Deco M5s Drop Off Repeatedly after Deco X90 Firmware Update
2022-11-29 20:10:47

Just wondering, has anyone installed the new firmware? It popped up as available in my app. After the last firmware fiasco, I'm more than a bit hesitent to install this new version without any feedback.

Mark

Options
[Solution]Deco M5s Drop Off Repeatedly after Deco X90 Firmware Update
2022-12-02 03:07:45

@LazyBrewer Anyone have an update on the new X90 firmware? Is it working as expected?

Options
2022-12-08 15:04:13

The updated firmware has been out for three weeks now. Has anyone applied it to their X90's? I'm really hesitant to update until I hear the problems mentioned in this thread have been corrected. Anyone?

Mark

Options

Tags

Deco X90