Switches offline When Away from Home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-15 13:49:36 - last edited 2022-11-21 03:27:47
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: The Latest

Hi - I've been using Kasa switches for a while.  Recently I just noticed that I lose control (switch offline) on some switches when I'm not home.  I have two homes in different states and just noticed that while at work (not on wifi) that I can't control some of my switches at either home.  Any ideas?  Been googling and nothing seems to work.  What's weird is that I have three of these switches HS220 in a row at the one house.  2 out of the 3 are working remotely but one isn't when I'm not at that location on the wifi network....

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Switches offline When Away from Home-Solution
2022-11-16 12:52:51 - last edited 2022-11-21 03:27:47

@dafish Thanks for responding.  I ended up resetting the two switches in the home I'm currently at this week.  After a reset / reload I shut off wifi on my phone and was able to use the switches remotely again.  I'm guessing that sometimes this issue occurs when there is a firmware update that doesn't take.  Hopefully it won't be a persistent issue.  The other two in the other state that aren't working I'll have to do this coming weekend when I'm there.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-21 03:30:05 - last edited 2022-11-21 03:30:10

Hello  @G_KyleW 

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. This has been fixed by the team. 

Please check the Kasa Device Offline feedback on Nov 15, 2022 in below topic and try suggestions or provide additional feedback there,  thank you. 

[Solution] Kasa Devices Offline/ Alexa or Google Integration Broken on Nov 15th

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Switches offline When Away from Home
2022-11-16 04:33:44

@G_KyleW 

At present I believe the app always talks to the cloud and the cloud pushes to the device.   From the switch downloads at least some config to run, but at reset/power reload.  I'm not sure if pulls the config from NVRAM, Flash, or similar, or if has to pull from the cloud.  I lean to the former, but I don't know.  I also believe the devices ONLY talk to the Kasa cloud.  Its's scalability nightmare, but apparently each switch looks to the Kasa Cloud for integration/comm with anything else, as well all program changes.  For that matter command and control it seems (assumption) it runs, as least as regards scene's, from the cloud.  To what degree basic programming, say schedules, are dependent on cloud access I do not know.

If you can ever manage a location, any switch, from anywhere, via the app action then the other units (s) that won't work generally need a reload/register with the Kasa Cloud.  Assuming decent signal of course.

Sadly I know of no way to remotely call a reload (altough I'm asking for it).

You would not be the first guy I've suggested needed a remote while house disconnect.

Options
2022-11-16 12:52:51 - last edited 2022-11-21 03:27:47

@dafish Thanks for responding.  I ended up resetting the two switches in the home I'm currently at this week.  After a reset / reload I shut off wifi on my phone and was able to use the switches remotely again.  I'm guessing that sometimes this issue occurs when there is a firmware update that doesn't take.  Hopefully it won't be a persistent issue.  The other two in the other state that aren't working I'll have to do this coming weekend when I'm there.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-21 03:30:05 - last edited 2022-11-21 03:30:10

Hello  @G_KyleW 

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. This has been fixed by the team. 

Please check the Kasa Device Offline feedback on Nov 15, 2022 in below topic and try suggestions or provide additional feedback there,  thank you. 

[Solution] Kasa Devices Offline/ Alexa or Google Integration Broken on Nov 15th

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 324

Replies: 3

Related Articles