Can a TP-Link wifi extender extend the wifi and be in access mode at the same time?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can a TP-Link wifi extender extend the wifi and be in access mode at the same time?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-02 23:37:10
Model: RE700X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am looking into purchasing TP-Link AX3000 WiFi 6 Range Extender Signal Booster for Home(RE715X).  But I first need to confirm that it can perform the following functionality...

Downstairs, I have a wireless cable modem and router provide by Verizon. It is moca-capable (ethernet over coax).

Two stories up, I have moca ethernet adapter that converts the data on the coax cable to an ethernet cable.  This allows upstairs internet devices with an ethernet port to connect to the moca adapter and get the internet at wired connection speeds.

However, not every upstairs internet device has an ethernet port. The wireless speeds for these internet devices upstairs are far lower than the wireless speeds downstairs.  I need the wifi to be extended upstairs.

I want to have TP-Link wifi extender to use the ethernet port as its input source (access mode) and extend the existing wifi. Is this possible?  I want every internet devide to be able to connect to a single wifi network and automatically get the best speed possible.  I don't want the TP-Link device to present a different wifi network from the Verizon wifi.

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can a TP-Link wifi extender extend the wifi and be in access mode at the same time?
2022-12-07 06:56:27

@IHaveQuestions 

Hi, if your desired network layout is like the following, then RE715X will work and you could manually change its SSID and password to be the same as your current Verizon SSID and password.

67dd1e99c8a5411897ef2332d48851d1

Options
Re:Can a TP-Link wifi extender extend the wifi and be in access mode at the same time?
2022-12-08 01:03:00

@David-TP  Thanks for your answer. 

Followup question - will client wi-fi devices be able to roam with the TP-Link in access point mode (with the same SSID and password) as well as they could roam if the TP-Link was in extender mode?

Options