Prevent Deco from joining existing network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-30 19:11:53
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

I have three Deco x20 units working great in AP mode in my house. I'm expirimenting with IP/Wifi camera's and want to build a completely separate network that these devices can use. In the Deco app, I removed 1/3 of the units and left the original network operational with the other two units. Now I'm attempting to setup the other unit as a separate wifi network but I can't seem to prevent the unit from getting automatically joined to the old network. I gave the single unit a wan port on my firewall appliance that is firewalled off from the other networks but everytime I get to the creating ssid stage the light blinks red then I get an notification that a new deco joined the original network. I've reset the device multiple times, waiting for the blue light and gone through the setup but every time it just gets added to the old network.

How can I prevent this Deco from joing the old network after it's been removed? And is there anyway to set one of these up without an active internet connection?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Prevent Deco from joining existing network
2022-12-30 19:50:19
I was able to come up with a workaround, I just unplugged all the other Deco's, performed the setup and things worked great. But it really shouldn't be so hard to setup one of these up independently without turning off my wifi.
Options
Re:Prevent Deco from joining existing network
2023-01-03 08:24:04 - last edited 2023-01-03 08:27:41

@jordank 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

The latest released Deco models support pre-configuration protocol so that the Mesh units in The Same Kit could be automatically linked to each other in order to save the set-up time. It's a good starting point but might not be helpful with all scenarios.

The alternative solution you have found is an excellent idea and perfectly stops the Mesh node from searching for the units in the same kit.

Best regards.

Options