Problem Accessing USB Hard Drive over Wi-Fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-14 19:44:26
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485(5553)

I have a Western Digital My Passport USB hard drive connected to my TPLink AX3000 router via the USB 3.0 cable.  I was successful in setting up the USB drive in my router configuration and was successful in accessing it and mapping a drive letter to it on my desktop computer that is hard-wired (Ethernet) to my router.  However, I cannot seem to set this up on my laptop, which connects wirelessly.  I have Wi-Fi turned off on the AX3000 router because I am using a 6-unit TPLink Deco M5 system for Wi-Fi in my home.  When I try to map the drive using Network Neighborhood (\\Reece-Share) in Windows 10 it says it cannot connect.  However, I see the Reece-Share in my Network Locations under This PC on my laptop.  So my laptop sees the network drive, but for some reason cannot seem to connect to it.  Any recommendations on how to solve this problem? 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Problem Accessing USB Hard Drive over Wi-Fi
2023-01-15 15:45:10

@JimRe 

If on Windows, open a CMD prompt and enter NET VIEW... do you see the share? If so, then enter NET VIEW \\Reece-Share and if you can see the drive, you should see a drive letter.

If not, you might not have SMB1 turned on in Windows. Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Functions on or off, select SMB1 (don't need the Server) and install that. Possible the hard wired PC has that installed as it is needed to access the share.

Hope this helps.

By the way, if your laptop does see the share, it wasn't too clear when you said it can see it under network but can't access it? What happens, get an error or does it just do 'nothing'? What happens with Windows Explorer and the NETWORK selection? Same thing? Under the NETWORK LOCATIONS, do you see the hardwired PC?

Options
2023-01-15 19:33:16 - last edited 2023-01-15 19:52:53

@IrvSp You were correct, I did not have SMB1 turned on in Windows.  I turned it on and rebooted.  However, when I tried to map the path \\Reece-Share to a drive letter, I received "Error Code: 0x800700035 -  The network path was not found."  Strangely as I originally said, I could see the Reece-Share in the Networks section of This PC.  See attached screen capture.  I almost gave up, but I tried again and this time clicked on "Browse".  My Reece-Share showed up in browse, so I selected it and it connected just like I wanted.  So this solved the problem.  I have no idea why mapping the drive would not work the normal way, but using the browse feature solved the problem.  Thank you for the assistance.  

Options
2023-01-15 22:44:15

@JimRe 

Not sure what you used for the NET USE command...

For instance, only my LAN I see this:

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\IRVXPS8940           Irv's XPS8940
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

Then see what is on \\TP-SHARE:

C:\>net view \\tp-share
Shared resources at \\tp-share

samba server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G           Disk

So the actual share is G, the command to share it is:

C:\>net use x: \\tp-share\g

Now I can access the LAN share as X:

C:\>x:

X:\>dir
 Volume in drive X is G
 Volume Serial Number is 77A2-373A

Directory of X:\

03/16/2018  01:25 PM    <DIR>          $RECYCLE.BIN
09/13/2021  06:24 PM    <DIR>          .

3 File(s)      2,255,233 bytes
              10 Dir(s)  908,271,632,384 bytes free

Options
2023-05-28 04:13:31

@IrvSp SMB1.0 is seriously insecure. The firmware needs to upgrde to a secure version of SMB

Options
2023-05-28 06:03:25 - last edited 2023-05-28 06:04:13

@cr42 SMBv1 CVEs:
     cve. mitre. org /cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=smbv1   (remove spaces)

Options
2023-05-28 13:27:09

@cr42 

Yes, well known. Very olf too.

However, I think the root problem is on the Server, not the client.

On my AX55, V2 is running, but I use V1 Client to access it.

bdba6a152411414ead0dff426d8482d6

What I did above to get the into, did a NET USE to the router share and then changed to that drive, and used PS Get-SMBConnetion. Give it a try, your router is probably running 2.0 or better.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 621

Replies: 6

Related Articles