Disable wireless backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-25 00:47:51
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6 Build 20211018 Rel. 35617

I've noticed an issue with connectivity between my Xbox and the controllers/headsets. After researching it looks like it utilizes Wi-Fi direct and communicates on the higher channels 149-165 in the 5ghz frequency.

While I couldn't see what channels are being utilized in the deco app,I can on the web portal. It looks like the wireless backhaul is utilizing channel 157.

To test this theory out while playing I disconnect the Ethernet backhaul on the deco closest to my Xbox and immediately see an increase in audio distortion and disconnects of my controller.

Since all of my decos are hard wired, can I disable the wireless backhaul or possibly change the channel it's using to something lower than 149? 

Thanks in advance. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Disable wireless backhaul
2023-01-25 19:11:08

@DcMasta,

For Deco Networks, it is not currently possible to change the channels used by the network, as the network is supposed to choose the frequency that will provide the best connection. However, given that all of your Decos are hardwired, I would expect that the wireless backhaul would not be created, or would cause minimal interference due to no data passing through it.

I do not think that you would want to disable the backhaul feature, as it does operate as a failsafe for if your switch or hardwired connections are interrupted. According to another thread, the hidden network is not used when an Ethernet backhaul is in effect, and would not cause interference with the main network(which I would presume as being from less interference)

What I would recommend doing, is finding a wi-fi analyzer app on your phone to see if there are any other sources that could be adding to the interference that your controller is seeing. Another option would be to try and get all of these devices active and select the optimize option from the deco app. If the devices provide enough interference, your deco may automatically choose another frequency to use.

Options