backhaul: 10/100 CAT5 ethernet vs Powerline adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-26 21:05:24
Tags: #Backhaul Method #Powerline
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: current

I'm new to mesh networking. My new Deco x55 setup is working pretty well, but I'm looking to maximize it. My fiber ISP speed is 250Mbs. I have CAT5 wiring in place and hooked it up for backhaul hoping that would give me better performance than using WiFi backhaul, but it is actually slower than when using WiFi backhaul. I'm getting close to 250 Mbs download using WiFI backhaul but it chokes down to about 120 using CAT5 backhaul. Can I do better using a powerline adapter for wired backhaul instead? Wiring in my house is all 12 ga romex installed within the last 25 years.

Steve

Options
5 Reply
Re:backhaul: 10/100 CAT5 ethernet vs Powerline adapter
2023-02-27 23:42:23

@SZDBLLC 

You just need to change the wires.  If you are using Cat 5 you need to swap to Cat5E or higher to get higher speeds.  Cat 5 itself is only rated for 10/100 fast ethernet 

Options
2023-02-28 00:03:42

@Carl changing the wires is not an option. 

Options
2023-02-28 00:18:36

@SZDBLLC 

Sorry, the way i read that originally was that you were using CAT5 to your PowerLine.  I see the discrepancy.  PowerLine might work but its depends on several factors and sometimes the speeds down the Powerline are worst than if you just did WiFi.   Have you tried using the Deco on Wireless backhaul?  Transmission rates may be better then?

Options
2023-02-28 00:27:11

@Carl yes, I'm using it on Wireless backhaul now. Working pretty well. Better than on CAT5 backhaul. I could get to my distribution center in the cellar with power line and distribute to the satellites with CAT5e. Just wondering if I can get CAT5e speeds out of power line. 

Options
2023-02-28 17:14:18

@SZDBLLC 

We do have powerline adapters with Gigabit or 10/100/1000 ethernet ports so it is possible.  However, like wireless, powerline has its own barriers to overcome.  Everything that is connected to the home's powerlines creates noise, which is the same as interference with wireless.   Appliances and High draw devices like AC units and Washers and Dryers create the most.  This noise can be mitigated with the use of surge protectors.  Also the distance the signal has to travel and the quality of the lines also play a part. Lastly Powerline only works on the same circuit.  By the same circuit I mean the same main circuit.  as long as the adapters are connected to outlets powered by breakers in the same panel they should work.  but sub-panels do not.    Its worth a test but in my honest opinion if you purchase a set I would do so at a store that has a return policy incase they don't work well enough for you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 286

Replies: 5

Tags

Related Articles