TP-Link WiFi 6(Archer TX3000E) PCIe WiFi Card Speed Tests

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-02 16:20:26
Model: Archer TX3000E  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have the following combination at my quad-level home. My Netgear CM2050 docsis 3.1 modem and router is in the basement along with my Archer AXE75 router. One pc is in the basement with my modem and has the PC AX3000 (Archer TX55E)pcie wifi card.  Speed tests yields 850-900 gbps download speeds from Xfinity 1 gb speed.

I have another pc on the top level of the house with the TP-Link AX3000 (Archer TX3000E) pcie wifi card. The RE 715X extender is on the same floor about 30 feet from the pc.  Speed test yields only 325-350 gbps download speeds. Should I see such a discrepancy in test results?  Both pcs on 5 ghz band.  Upstairs one on the range extender and the basement one on the router.

Should I be able to get 6 ghz on these pcs?

Options
8 Reply
Re:TP-Link WiFi 6(Archer TX3000E) PCIe WiFi Card Speed Tests
2023-03-02 19:03:59

@coastman49,

Unfortunately, Yes, this is just the nature of range extenders. REs will repeat the signal and due to this suffer from something called half speed, which essentially cuts your speed in half initially, and then you lost additional bandwidth due to the overhead that naturally comes with wireless connection and from environmental factors/interference. This is why APs are the absolute best choice, because the wired connections do not suffer from any of these factors.

Looking at the models that you provided, your RE and your router are both capable of creating a OneMesh Network, which is far less affected by this and will provide a more seamless experience, especially when a device is in between the different nodes of the network and roaming. I recommend setting your AXE75 to connect to the RE via a Onemesh Connection

The Network Cards that you have listed are only Wi-Fi 6 Cards, not Wi-Fi 6E cards. This means that they do not have access to the 6Ghz range. For most users, the 5Ghz range provides more than enough bandwidth, as the 5Ghz band has been optimized so much since it first came out and can reach multigig speeds.

Options
2023-03-06 18:13:51

@Riley_S 

What 6E cards do you recommend?  By the way, I do have ther Re-715 and the AXE75 connected in the MESH configuration.

Options
2023-03-06 18:21:29

@coastman49 

Will relocatiing the RE 715X closer tothe router improve signal?  Right now it is closer to the PC about 30 feet.  It is 2 levels up from the router.

Options
2023-03-06 18:41:24

@coastman49,

Right Now, we only offer two different Wi-Fi 6E PCI-e adapters, as most users will not see an increase in speed when adding Wi-Fi 6E to a client connection. Keep in mind that Wi-Fi 6E operates at a higher frequency and, therefore, cannot travel the same distances and is more prone to interference.

Something to keep in mind is that your RE doesn't support the 6Ghz band, so your second PC would need to connect all the way down to the AXE75 to use the 6Ghz band. Your RE will also be limited 5Ghz speeds since it cannot build a 6Ghz backhaul, meaning that a Wi-Fi 6E client could potentially be bottlenecked at the 5Ghz RE speed. For this reason, I can only really recommend upgrading your basement PC.

I would recommend moving the RE closer to the router; the ideal placement is usually closer to the midway point between the devices. If the RE is limited in its bandwidth due to having poor signal, that will also be reflected in the clients connected to the RE, and may force devices to connect directly to the AXE75. 

Options
2023-03-06 18:50:13

@Riley_S 

Ok.  Thanks for the informantion.

Options
2023-05-20 17:12:10

@coastman49 
The location and positioning of the RE 715X extender could affect the signal strength and overall performance. Even though it is located 30 feet away, there may be interference or obstacles that impact the signal quality, resulting in lower speeds compared to the PC in the basement that is closer to the router. The capabilities of the devices themselves can also play a role. While both PCs have WiFi 6 (AX) technology, the specific configuration and performance of the hardware can differ. The Archer TX55E PCIe WiFi card in the basement PC might have a slightly better design or antenna setup, leading to faster speeds compared to the Archer TX3000E in the upstairs PC.
Regards: zakbags

Options
2023-07-15 02:10:31

@coastman49 

I did relocate the RE one level down.  It significantly improved the signal.  The speed tests now are about half my my 1 Gigabit speed.  Usually between 450-485 Mbp

coastman49 wrote

I have the following combination at my quad-level home. My Netgear CM2050 docsis 3.1 modem and router is in the basement along with my Archer AXE75 router. One pc is in the basement with my modem and has the PC AX3000 (Archer TX55E)pcie wifi card.  Speed tests yields 850-900 gbps download speeds from Xfinity 1 gb speed.

I have another pc on the top level of the house with the TP-Link AX3000 (Archer TX3000E) pcie wifi card. The RE 715X extender is on the same floor about 30 feet from the pc.  Speed test yields only 325-350 gbps download speeds. Should I see such a discrepancy in test results?  Both pcs on 5 ghz band.  Upstairs one on the range extender and the basement one on the router.

Should I be able to get 6 ghz on these pcs?

s.

Options
2023-07-17 23:19:47

@coastman49,

Due to the nature of how Range Extenders extend the network, this is an expected speed for the connection.

You may be able to improve the connection further by setting the devices up as a OneMesh network rather than as a traditional Router+RE

REs also have a feature that some find useful called High-Speed Mode. This Mode allows you to reserve a band for the "backhaul" and get full bandwidth on another band - however, you are already receiving speeds similar to what would be possible over the 2.4GHz connection. From the User Guide:

"The High-Speed feature switches off one of the wireless bands to leave one high-performance, super-fast network, ideal for HD streaming and gaming applications. If most of your devices are connected to one wireless band, this feature can increase the overall performance of your wireless network.

Notes:

1. This function is not available when the extender is in a OneMesh network."

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 599

Replies: 8