Create SSID for a single unit.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-14 00:38:30
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Is there a way I can create a SSID / access point for a single unit of Deco? So for example, I have these Decos, DecoMain, Deco2, Deco3, and they are all in the same network as Mesh technology. But I wanted to create another SSID specific for Deco2.  The reason for this is I wanted my non mobile device, like CCTV, TV, etc. to always connect to Deco2. 

The toggling of Mesh technology doesn't seem like working properly, specialty when the Deco where I initially connect them restarts, the device connects to the other deco unit.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Create SSID for a single unit.
2023-03-14 00:45:56

@wmv0501,

You could always set up the Deco in AP mode as a separate network; However, firmware updates are being rolled out to Decos that allow you to set a node preference for a client device. While this is still being developed and rolled out to Deco's gradually, depending on your hardware version, the M4 may already have the feature. You can learn more about how to set a client preference in the FAQ here:https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3480/

Rest assured the team is working to bring this feature to more models and hardware versions as soon as they can.

If the connection with a Deco is broken, even with this signal preference feature, the client devices will always latch onto the other satellites, as they have the same network settings. After the deco is reconnected the device will either move to the correct node, or will do so when refreshing its network settings.

Options
2023-03-14 01:01:41

Riley_S wrote

@wmv0501,

You could always set up the Deco in AP mode as a separate network; However, firmware updates are being rolled out to Decos that allow you to set a node preference for a client device. While this is still being developed and rolled out to Deco's gradually, depending on your hardware version, the M4 may already have the feature. You can learn more about how to set a client preference in the FAQ here:https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3480/

Rest assured the team is working to bring this feature to more models and hardware versions as soon as they can.

If the connection with a Deco is broken, even with this signal preference feature, the client devices will always latch onto the other satellites, as they have the same network settings. After the deco is reconnected the device will either move to the correct node, or will do so when refreshing its network settings.

@Riley_S Thanks!, the Connection Preference is one way to do it, however I don't have that in my M4 yet, will that feature be rolled out for M4 units soon? 

Though the Connection Preference feature can solve my problem, I still think having the feature to create a different SSID and ability to select where Deco Unit will it be available is a good feature that can be added to Deco.  

Options
2023-03-14 01:13:15

Riley_S, additional question, if I get a M5 where the Connection Preference feature is available and make it my Main-Deco and keep my other M4 as mesh units, will I be able to use that feature?

Options
2023-03-14 04:30:15

@wmv0501 

any way to connect your CCTV stuff to the deco via Ethernet?

Options
2023-03-14 04:42:25

@dictoresno my CCTVs are mostly wireless connection, like Tapo c200, Xiaomi, etc. There is a workaround where I can install another WiFi router and connect to Deco via Ethernet to have a dedicated accesspoint but of course that's another device which is not cheap(if I want to get 5ghz connection), and I think Deco should already have that feature since they are also a router.

Options
2023-03-14 16:15:43

@wmv0501,

Unfortunately, the feature will not appear in a mixed network. As the connection preference requires all of the nodes to cooperate with each other and not try to steal a devices connection, you will need your entire network to support the feature. The M4 receives feature updates often, in fact, last week it was the first unit to receive wi-fi scheduling and ECO modes. 

I believe that the best route of action is to set up either a satellite deco or another satellite as an access point so that it will be given its own SSID and not try to mesh with the rest of your nodes.

Options
2023-03-14 16:17:14

@dictoresno,

You should have no difficulty setting up ethernet CCTV and NVR connections on your Deco, either by wiring directly to the Decos or to an intermediary switch. If you are connecting a device via Ethernet, please keep in mind that these devices will appear to the main network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 355

Replies: 7