Adding a tp-link router to existing Spectrum supplied modem & [current] router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-16 18:37:13
Tags: #Port Forwarding #2routers
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V16
Firmware Version:

Hello:
What I'm doing, at the direction of Spectrum Internet, is "adding a [second] router to their existing modem & router".  I need and have a "static IP-address" and Spectrum tells me that this setup will allow for the tp-link router to [also] use that same "static IP-address" with "pass through" from their routerDoes that make sense?  I've never heard of such a setup!  Any "tips and tricks" in configuration of this kind of setup?  -Thanks, in advance, for any insight on your part!

Stanley (Stan) Poe Stan@Biehler-PoeEnterprises.com 419-618-0747 text or telephone 419-710-1829 eFax Northwest Ohio & Austin, Texas
Options
2 Reply
Re:Adding a tp-link router to existing Spectrum supplied modem & [current] router
2023-03-16 21:03:49

@BPE_llc302-112a,

They would be correct; they just did a not so great of explaining what is actually happening and why it has to happen.

Firstly, what you are referring to as a Modem+Router device is officially coined as a Gateway

To create a stable network that allows your router to send data to the correct devices, your network has to run a single DHCP server for all connected devices. DHCP servers are the yellow pages for your network, and allows your router and devices to differentiate from each other as it assigns a local IP address (192.168.XX.X) to each device. In traditional setups, these servers are run by the router on the network.

If there is more than one DHCP server running, data will get lost, and devices will have trouble correctly identifying devices and connecting to the network. For this reason, as you allude to, you cannot have more than one router on a network providing a DHCP server, at least without very advanced configurations.

As they mention, "PassThrough Mode" or "Bridge Mode" will be a setting on your Gateway that will disable the router portion of the device, including the wireless network and the DHCP server, while still operating as a conventional modem. Your router should be able to automatically communicate the static IP address with the modem as normal, or it can be set manually.

--

The other option is to set up your router in AP mode and leave your Gateway as is, your Archer will then essentially serve as a wireless extender for the network provided by the Gateway. The caveat to this is that it will disable many of the advanced protection, routing, and management options of the Archer, as all of these will be managed by the Gateway's Rotuer and DHCP server

Options
Re:Adding a tp-link router to existing Spectrum supplied modem & [current] router
2023-03-16 22:28:47
Thanks so much for a prompt and detailed reply. Now for me to review it and begin to know, "what to do next"! I received the AXE75 today and hope to get all setup as soon as I can~ Thanks, again!
Stanley (Stan) Poe Stan@Biehler-PoeEnterprises.com 419-618-0747 text or telephone 419-710-1829 eFax Northwest Ohio & Austin, Texas
Options