2 extenders have a conflict

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-04 04:12:35
Model: RE105  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 build 201026 rel 34307

My first extender worked fine so I bought a second one to connect my security cameras but as soon as both are connected the first device disappears from the app. Extender 1 is connected to my 2.4ghz network, has been working fine by itself, and extender 2 is connected to my 2.4ghz guest network and works fine by itself. The SSID, MAC address, and IP address are different on each device and I have disconnected extender 1 while setting up extender 2. I have wifi on extender 2 after setup. After setting up extender 2, when I plug in extender 1, I see a device called 'wifi extender' for about 5 seconds, then it disappears and I only have extender 2. I have renamed each so that I know which one is working.

I've tried everything that I'm aware of but cannot get both to work at the same time. I see no way to change the channel; both devices are on channel 6. To reiterate, I'm NOT trying to daisy-chain the extenders; I want to connect each one to a separate SSID from my router. Can someone provide some assistance? Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:2 extenders have a conflict
2023-05-04 16:22:40 - last edited 2023-05-04 16:22:46

@bluevelvet,

Is there a specific reason that you setup the second RE while not having the other connected to the network, especially since you use different SSIDs? One thing that you did change when adding an RE, is that you potentially increased the interference for your network. Try moving the RE closer to the main router and seeing if the behavior continues.

I would also first check the LED lights on the RE that is not connecting, as that will tell us a lot about whether it is a result of the hardware or the LAN connection. Does the first RE indicate that it is supposed to be broadcasting a network, or that it is connected to your router? 

Also, what router are you trying to connect the devices to?

Options
Re:2 extenders have a conflict
2023-05-05 04:33:09

@Riley_S 

Thank you for your response. I redid everything from the beginning so that I could better answer your questions. At first I setup RE2 while RE1 was still connected and had the described problem; your forum said to unplug first extender when setting up a second; this was mostly for people daisy-chaining but I had no other ideas so I tried that, to no avail. I'm trying to have a separate SSID for each group of security cameras, for separate access by certain people; that's why I'm trying 2 extenders. The Q&A on Amazon said I could connect more than one RE and even encouraged it. I really like this little device; it just does what it's supposed to do, so I wanted another. Perhaps a different model would work? So, here are my follow-up notes.

Router is Sagemcom F@st 5260CV, provided by my ISP. The 2 LED lights are on whenever the RE's are plugged in, individually or at the same time. Checking the connection via the location assistant shows 'perfect', and my devices will connect almost 200 feet from the RE with about 35% wifi. I can connect to either RE & get wifi but having both plugged in limits the functions on my cameras, even though they are connected to only RE1. The RE app does indicate that it's connected and SSID is broadcasting. I left broadcast on while I'm setting up and yes, I see the SSID in available networks, and can connect to either EXT.

Setup this time produced the same results as before-one RE disappeared, but I found some new info. If I login to the tether app via my 5G or 2.4 wifi I see no devices and message asks me to add a device. I must connect to the appropriate EXT SSID first and then I will see the RE related to that. I get login errors when I select RE1 on the device page but eventually it lets me in, then says I'm not connected and do I want to retry. RE2 has no login issues from the app. I finally had enough and unplugged RE2; cameras work fine and I can access RE1 via the IP address on my laptop with 5G. On the app I still could only see RE1 if I am connected to the related EXT network until I restarted the app several times. Then I could connect to 5G and see RE1 on the device page. Even then, I get login errors. Those errors eventually went away before, as I'm sure they will eventually go away this time, but it's annoying.

I think I've given you all of the info that I have. Do you have any ideas or must I give up on using 2 extenders?

Denise

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 297

Replies: 2