Deco S4 and VPN problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco S4 and VPN problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco S4 and VPN problem
Deco S4 and VPN problem
2023-05-26 16:36:12
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20220513 Rel 53966

Recently purchased a Deco S4 (3 unit) mesh system to replace an aging Apple Airport Express 2-unit system.  Set up across the house with both remote units having clients connected and displaying solid white LED.   Fiber internet connection and a mix of Mac / Win / other clients.   Day to day, everything works perfectly.

The issue is when I connect to my VPN (Nord) using their proprietary software.  Normal browsing is fine but, within seconds of initiating any file transfer, the remote units begin flashing red, disconnect from the main unit and, in time, my entire wireless network is offline.  The only solution - after disconnecting from the VPN - is to reboot the entire mesh system.

I really like the S4 system but this is making it unusable to me.  Need to figure out why this is occurring.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco S4 and VPN problem
2023-05-29 11:02:44

@Alemar 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Were you able to reproduce this issue most of the time?

Later I might need to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance and could you please help me check the following details:

1. Did the main Deco S4 keep solid white all the time?

2. Could you please send some pictures of the network map and Deco signal source strength?

8859e6001f8d43899e877ae9faab4e82

3. If the client is weirdly connected to the nearest Deco, will you have the same issue over the VPN connection?

And please refer to this link to change the WAN DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to see whether it helped a little bit:

How to change DNS server settings on my Deco

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco S4 and VPN problem
2023-05-30 04:02:52 - last edited 2023-05-30 04:04:11

Thanks for the reply!  So, today everything worked perfectly under the VPN.  Did nothing differently (nor did I reboot / restart any devices or computers).  For what it's worth, here's the info you requested based upon what has normally been happening (except for just now):

1 - when the remote units begin to flash red, the main unit stays solid white.  Even though it's solid white and the computer connected via VPN is a client of that unit, there was no outside access until I disconnected from the VPN.  Then WAN access was restored but the remote units continued to flash red until I manually removed power and rebooted them.  After the reboot, they once again found the parent unit and turned solid white.

2 - pics from today (during the time I was connected via VPN and everything was working as it should):

891b2ff7ea8842dfbf443dd6af24adcd

2dabba488b5f474791fa9f89dc17ae69

3 - "If the client is weirdly connected to the nearest Deco, will you have the same issue over the VPN connection?".   I'm not sure what you mean by this.

As for the DNS change, next time I experience the issue, I'll change the DNS and report back.

Thanks again.

Options