Extending off of an existing M5 setup as Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-15 03:16:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.5

Hello,

I currently have one M5 installed/configured at the central part of my house.  It is connected via ethernet connection from my main router.  It is configured as an Access Point at the moment. 

I am looking to extend the range of the Wifi to cover and extend Wifi access to my backyard.  Currently the signal is weak or don't get a signal at all. 

Can I purchase another M5 and have the existing M5 repeater or extend Wifi to the new one that would be in the backyard?  

If not, are there other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extending off of an existing M5 setup as Access Point
2023-06-16 09:14:53

@icordova 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Since you have tested that the Backyard signal is weak or doesn't get a signal at all., a satellite Deco here might have an unstable connection from the main M5.

Would there be many devices that need a Wi-Fi network? and How about their distance to the main Deco?

If the main house and backyard shared the same electric meter/power grid/service panel, and there are mainly smart home devices backyard, like security cameras, you could consider adding a pair of powerline adapters, such as TL-WPA4220:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/powerline/

And you could also have a look at this link to know more about other extenders:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/blog/1241/what-is-a-wifi-booster-and-how-to-choose-the-best-one/

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options