Deco M5 not reaching outdoor back patio

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-30 13:03:21

Hello,

I have been running a Deco M5 Mesh Network since Nov 2020, maybe early 2021. The main node is connected to a Motorola modem to Xfinity. The main M5 exists in the living room on a wall a little over 3 ft from the floor. The main M5 is also almost directly above the M5 in the basement. Both Main and Basement M5's are anout 1/3 of the way into the house from the front of the house.

The basement M5 is also 3 ft from the floor sitting on a table. This M5 is hardwired to an HP Office Jet 7410 All-In-One printer, scanner, fax machine. (Fax not in use.) The distance between the Main M5 and the Basement M5, with floor between them, is maybe 12 feet.

The third M5 is one floor up from the Main M5. The third M5 also exists about 1/3 of the way into the house from the back of the house. This M5 is mounted to the hallway wall at the top of the stairs where Main M5 can almost see Hallway M5 (if it had eyes.) The distance maybe about 50 to 60 feet.

Main Deco M5 seems happy accepting as many connections as possible. Hallway M5 seems to whine about having to accept connections. Basement M5 would be happy to take more connections, and it does.

when I go out back to my patio slab, my WiFi signal just collapses. I'm too far from the Main and basement horizontally, and too far from the second floor Hallway M5 vertically. I have bought and tried 3 different extenders, one being a TP Link device, and none of them likes playing nice with the M5's. 

I have tried the extenders in my kitchen right next to the outdoor backyard and it didn't help the situation at all. I have placed the extender in the spot where the M5 in the basement is hoping to use the extender in the kitchen, and that didn't help at all because then I lost the functionality in the basement. Did I have functionality in the backyard? I do not remember..

What is a person to do when they live in a bunker home, brick all around, and 2/3s of the M5's are located in the fist 1/3 of the building, and the third M5 is located high on the second floor 1/3 of the way into building from the back of the house?

Would a fourth M5 outside of my kitchen window for the back patio slab work?

M5

-------------------                     -------------------|

|                          |

|                          |

M5                               |                          |

|                          ||

-----------------------------------------------        ||_X___  

|

|                          |

|                          |

M5                               |                          |

------------------------------------------------------

X marks the spot where the current M5's cannot reach.

Thoughts?

Thank you. - John

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 not reaching outdoor back patio
2023-06-30 13:06:53 - last edited 2023-06-30 13:07:30

@John-Gilbert Sorry for any type-o's. If something seems not right then it most likely was said by me incorrectly knowing someone would know what I meant. 😁

Options
Re:Deco M5 not reaching outdoor back patio
2023-07-05 10:06:56

@John-Gilbert 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

You could temporarily unplug the Basement Deco M5 and plug it out of the kitchen windows to see whether it is able to connect to the main Deco(The LED is green and the speed is acceptable). If not, a fourth Deco would not help to expand the coverage to the back patio.

Is the whole house under the same power grid or electric meter? Have you used any powerline adapters before?

If yes, you could consider adding a pair of powerline adapters to extend the signal:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/powerline-adapter/

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 541

Replies: 2

Related Articles