Horrendous Performance Deco Mesh with X25 and X50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-30 21:22:30
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am posting this hoping that I can get some guidance on how to get satisfactory performance from my Deco system.  This system the included 3 X25 and on X50 outdoor nodes was received and set up 6/13/23 for use in my home. A WiFi 6 mesh system was recommended by a Spectrum tech who visited my home in early June and told me that Spectrum tech support would help with the set up. I purchased the Deco to extend my WiFi from 40 to 80 feet down the hillside behind my home,  The wired "main" X25 node replaced the Spectrum router located 16 fee from my office computer connected via WiFi to my network.  When the Deco was up and running the speed test revealed that the Deco speed was 50% slower than the Spectrum service (250Mbps vs. 500Mbps).  I immediately called Spectrum and the tech noted that some resetting of their modem was needed.  The tech reset the modem and noted that she saw all Deco nodes working. I told her that the speed was still slow and she directed me to call TP-Link support so they could guide me through raising the Deco speed cap to a minimum of 600Mbps. That did not improve things. 

The fact is that I can live with 250Mbps in my office if the speed on my hillside was acceptable.  To send the WiFi to the hillside, I placed a second node wirelessly about 24 feet straight from the main node with only a couch interrupting. Speed at the second node is about 250Mbps. The second node sits on a window sill about a foot above the floor where it is a straight shot down 30 feet through a glass window and a tree to the X50 outdoor node.  The speed at the outdoor node was about 35Mbps today. Why would the speed degrade 86% over that distance? 

It was my understanding that the Deco system would provide the same speed as the Spectrum router and that the nature of a mesh system is such that the speed should not significantly decrease from node to node so long as they are reasonably spaced.  Either I misunderstood the function of a mesh system or I set it up incorrectly or the Deco products are defective or inferior.

I have spent hours dealing with this issue including an awful experience with TD-Link supposedly escalated tech support.  I'll note that though the tech associate that first helped me did everything he could and then sent me to an escalated tech.  The next day I received an email from the escalated tech team indicating the hours in CST they are open which I assumed was US Central Standard Time.  I later learned that they're on China standard time or 15 hours later than my location. So, they're open from 5:30PM to 3AM my time and closed for lunch from 8:30 PM to 10:30 PM my time. They requested that I provide the time I would be available to do a TeamViewer meeting.  I nearly fell off my chair when they asked me to provide my TeamViewer login and password to which I flatly refused of course.  I suggested a time but did not get a response for a few days until 6/25 when they adivsed that they were closed for a national holiday from 6/22 to 6/25. I heard nothing from them until 7PM yesterday 6/29 when they left a message while I was away from my phone.  In all of the years I've been working with technology support I've never had such a frustrating experience.  I cannot believe that TP-Link has such inept people working there not to mention their rediculous hours.  They're gross revenue is over $2.8 billion and they can certainly afford 24/7 support world wide.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Horrendous Performance Deco Mesh with X25 and X50
2023-07-05 09:11:18

@powerharp Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback. I have left a message for the engineer and he would take care of the case at the earliest time.

The phone/live chat support indeed is 24/7 while there are some issues that could not be fixed immediately. For these cases, we would follow up via email and consult the engineers for further assistance. Such a delayed response to your support case is not common and I am sure the engineer would give your proper explanation.

Thank you again for your time and patience.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1089

Replies: 1

Related Articles