TP-Link Deco S4 connecting with Arris Surfboard SB8200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-17 15:57:06
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Bought an Arris Surfboard SB8200 Cable Modem on Prime Day to replace the Motorola unit we had before because ISP is inscreasing our speed and Motorola unit wasn't going to cut it. 

Installed the Surfboard and connected the Deco S4 and while it's difficult to connect to the WiFi through the Deco, it's constantly showing no internet connection. 

Understand that we need a WiFi router for use with the Surfboard because it's a cable only modem, but thought the Deco S4 would be able to provide this. 

Tried tech support of the Surfboard last night and they claimed I can't have more than one Ethernet cable connected at a time due to limitations from ISP, but we had two on Motorola unit and no issues. Deco Mesh WiFi worked great when connected to the Motorola unit. 

Anyone had any success with connecting to the SB8200 modem and what am I missing? Not very Tech Savvy, so any and all help that can be thrown my way will need to be in simplified terms!

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link Deco S4 connecting with Arris Surfboard SB8200
2023-07-18 05:48:12

@kierobi Hi, welcome to the community.

Have you ever checked whether the Motorola unit is a cable modem only or a modem router combo?

I think the Surfboard support is right, only one Deco S4 could connect directly to the modem via Ethernet cable by default. (there are indeed two ports on the SB8200 but I believe you might need to contact the ISP to re-active the other port). Also when Deco S4 is in wireless router mode, it only needs the first main unit to connect to the cable modem. 

So ideal network out for you would be like:

ISP----Arris Surfboard SB8200---<cable>---main Deco S4----<Wi-Fi>--satellite Deco S4#1----<Wi-Fi>--satellite Deco S4#2

or

ISP----Arris Surfboard SB8200---<cable>---main Deco S4----<Wi-Fi>--satellite Deco S4#1

\----<Wi-Fi>--satellite Deco S4#2

Or if you want to connect satellite S4 also via cable to the main S4:

ISP----Arris Surfboard SB8200---<cable>---main Deco S4---switch----<Wi-Fi>--satellite Deco S4#1

\----<Wi-Fi>--satellite Deco S4#2

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Options