XE5300 Mesh connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

XE5300 Mesh connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
XE5300 Mesh connections
XE5300 Mesh connections
2023-07-22 00:12:40 - last edited 2023-07-24 19:39:33
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hey All,

I just bought a Deco XE5300 system and it has 3 units with it. I've got it hooked up wirelessly for the mesh and it works well. I'm wondering I am going to add an outdoor unit also, is it better to hard wire all the Deco's for a more solid connection and better overall performance?

Thanks in advance,

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:XE5300 Mesh connections-Solution
2023-07-24 19:34:41 - last edited 2023-07-24 19:39:33

@JohnfromCt,

I actually have this image still in my clipboard from another user :)

dae12dcf879444bfa7809ebc2dcd9d02

You should have no problem running your connections through a switch, as long as it is anywhere in the network AFTER the main Deco Node.

As for PoE, Active PoE should only pull the power that is needed but you would need to check the specifics of your switch to make sure.

Backfeeding however? I am not familiar with the term.

In general, you are looking to have a switch or injector to add PoE to a line - and your Deco node would communicate with either the switch or adapter to make sure that only the correct amount of power is being sent/received over the line. You can take a look at this Story Article for more info: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/501876

If you have no PoE functionality going to the Outdoor Unit, you may ignore the functionality as the X50 Outdoor only supports PoE In (and cannot power other devices down the line), and you would need to set up the normal plug to power the unit

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:XE5300 Mesh connections
2023-07-24 18:35:53

Hey  @JohnfromCt,

Hardwired Decos will ALWAYS provide a better connection when given an ethernet backhaul, if you are able to run cables, we would highly recommend it.

All wireless connections will be subject to both interferences and have a falloff due to the information that has to be passed alongside the data for wireless communication. Wired connections do not see the same performance drops and will provide a much more powerful and stable connection to your devices.

It is worth considering that the Outdoor Deco allows for a Power over Ethernet Connection, so you could both power and provide an ethernet backhaul with one connection.

Options
2023-07-24 19:22:26 - last edited 2023-07-24 19:24:04

@Riley_S  Ok sounds good Riley,

Should I do a direct run from Deco to Deco or can I go throught my Dlink unmanaged hub?

I'm adding the outdoor unit tomorrow. Will I have an issue backfeeding POE from it to a non POE Hub / Panel?

Thanks for the quick and precise response, I'm SO glad I went with your products!

Options
Re:XE5300 Mesh connections-Solution
2023-07-24 19:34:41 - last edited 2023-07-24 19:39:33

@JohnfromCt,

I actually have this image still in my clipboard from another user :)

dae12dcf879444bfa7809ebc2dcd9d02

You should have no problem running your connections through a switch, as long as it is anywhere in the network AFTER the main Deco Node.

As for PoE, Active PoE should only pull the power that is needed but you would need to check the specifics of your switch to make sure.

Backfeeding however? I am not familiar with the term.

In general, you are looking to have a switch or injector to add PoE to a line - and your Deco node would communicate with either the switch or adapter to make sure that only the correct amount of power is being sent/received over the line. You can take a look at this Story Article for more info: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/501876

If you have no PoE functionality going to the Outdoor Unit, you may ignore the functionality as the X50 Outdoor only supports PoE In (and cannot power other devices down the line), and you would need to set up the normal plug to power the unit

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-24 19:37:53
PERFECT!! That lays it out plain and simple. I can't thank you enough for the GREAT customer service A+
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 466

Replies: 4

Related Articles