IGMP Snooping in AP Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

IGMP Snooping in AP Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
IGMP Snooping in AP Mode
IGMP Snooping in AP Mode
2023-07-31 11:43:26
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20230403 Rel. 66598

I'm running in AP mode and experience an IGMP storm when connecting the LAN cable to one of the non-main devices.

[home network]->switch->M9 = This will cause a storm of IMGP packages to any device connected to the same switch. Rending the whole network section unusable.

[home network]->M9->switch = No storm occurs.

I found this old tread https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/168554 which says it should be possible to turn on IGMP snooping in AP mode through the web interface (not the app) under System - System Parameters - IGMP Feature - Enable IGMP.

But logging in to neither the the main device nor the one with the issue show me any IGMP options, the only available parameter is WAN Unicast.

Options
3 Reply
Re:IGMP Snooping in AP Mode
2023-08-01 12:00:41

@LogicalShrapnel 

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

I think the IGMP snooping is enabled by default on Deco.

And I am a little curious about the following description:

"I'm running in AP mode and experience an IGMP storm when connecting the LAN cable to one of the non-main devices

home network]->switch->M9 = This will cause a storm of IMGP packages to any device connected to the same switch. Rending the whole network section unusable.

[home network]->M9->switch = No storm occurs."

If Deco is in AP mode, these two diagrams should be the same.

Since you only mentioned the satellite Deco M9 Plus, can I have a full view of your network topology, such as:

ISP service---modem--main router---main Deco M9 plus---switch--other one or two satellite M9 plus units

or 

ISP service---modem--main router-----switch--all M9 plus units

Also, May I know the model number of the network switch?

I wonder whether the storm of IMGP packages might be related to the Ethernet Backhaul between Decos. You could have a look at this link:

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on Deco (Q5 about the loop detection)

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-01 16:20:28

@David-TP 

I too found the article about the backhaul issues after writing this post. I have a fairly cheap D-link switch so this could very well be the cause. I won't be able to test it for ~3 weeks sadly.

If Deco is in AP mode, these two diagrams should be the same. Not the same, but the same from a topological standpoint, yes. That's why I was surprised to see the issue.But now that I've read about D-link backhaul problems I think that is the culprit.

Also, May I know the model number of the network switch?

D-Link DGS1005D
HW version I1

Since you only mentioned the satellite Deco M9 Plus, can I have a full view of your network topology

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ahsa9KkyxWhKO1K63Imx-BTrQaKCs39e/view?usp=sharing

It's the red marked Deco that is causing the issue. If I instead insert it where the green arrow points everything works fine. I'm guessing it's the yellow D-link that is causing it.

Cheers and thanks for your reply! I'llg et back to you in ~3 weeks when I can try it out.

Options
2023-09-03 18:34:20

@LogicalShrapnel 

Hi again David,

I have sadly not had time to test it yet, but I'm planing on purchasing a new switch . The problem is finding one that I'm sure supports backhaul (IEEE 1905.1 protocol). The TP-link site says "TP-Link Switches are mostly compatible with our Deco’s Ethernet backhaul." Which doesn't really clarify which ones are, and the page it links do does not list IEEE 1905.1 for any model. So basically TP-Link is saying "hey, buy one of our switches and it might work which isn't very comforting.

How can I find out if e.g. TP-Link LiteWave LS1005G or TP-Link TL-SG105 will work correctly when all I have to go on is mostly?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 486

Replies: 3

Related Articles