Range Extender Connectivity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-07 21:00:28 - last edited 2023-08-07 21:03:27
Model: RE315  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an Archer AXE300 and several extenders, including an RE815XE and three RE315s.

One of my RE315s is pretty far from the router but there is another RE315 between it and the router.

R <--> E1 <--> E2

I've had range extenders from other brands that would piggy back off each other to extend the distance of the network. However, this particular range extender keeps telling me that it is too far from the router. They are all configured to use OneMesh (though some say they are part of EasyMesh?). This extender is where it is to assist with a IoT device (Yale Smart Lock with HomeKit) that is too far from the router to connect. I'm still having issues with this device staying connected and I believe it is because the signal from router to extender is weak. 

Do TP-Link range extenders use other extenders to increase the range of the network?

Or, do range extenders ONLY work with the router and ignore other extenders?

Thank you!

6178d95a058b457bb62e0972c7f8920a

Options
2 Reply
Re:Range Extender Connectivity
2023-08-08 05:56:11

@4nthony 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

If you just bought 3*RE315, have you ever considered the Deco Mesh system, like Deco M5.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/?filterby=5827

The Onemesh exists between the main mesh router and mesh extenders. So if all the RE315s are connected to AXE300 via OneMesh, each RE315 will connect to AXE300 directly, like

E1--R--E2

I

E3

instead of R---E1---E2

Or you could try to set up some of the RE315 like normal range extenders, instead of OneMesh extenders.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Range Extender Connectivity
2023-08-08 16:10:32

David-TP wrote

@4nthony 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

The Onemesh exists between the main mesh router and mesh extenders. So if all the RE315s are connected to AXE300 via OneMesh, each RE315 will connect to AXE300 directly, like

E1--R--E2

I

E3

instead of R---E1---E2

Or you could try to set up some of the RE315 like normal range extenders, instead of OneMesh extenders.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

@David-TP 

Thanks for the reply!

Is setting up an RE315 as a normal range extender as easy as toggling OneMesh to off for that extender in the Tether app?

In my scenario:

E1 <--> R <--> E2 <--> E3

Will E3 connect to E2 if OneMesh is off?

As for the router, I rec'd the AXE300 from my ISP when I upgraded to 5gb figer. I added the RE815XE to get better 6GHz coverage. The RE315s were an inexpensive way to increase the 2.4Ghz range for some Homekit devices that are far from the router.

I previously used an ORBI mesh system with mixed results. I'll get back into a mesh system once WiFi 7 is more abundant. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 644

Replies: 2

Related Articles