Why is TP Link selling Deco S4's on Amazon that are several generations old?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-15 12:08:18 - last edited 2023-08-16 12:05:08
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.51

Edited Text to be less blunt.

The new Deco S4's on Amazon are hardware (V2) that haven't had any firmware updates since January 2021?  Preferred connection and other features only available for V4.

I recently bought two of the 3-Pack Deco's S4 on a large multiple building home.  I'm running a Archer AX55 router with Wifi turned off.  The Main Deco is connected to the router and the second ethernet port from the S4 goes to it's own switch.  All other deco S4's come off this router with exception of one satellite S4 in my living room using wireless.  S4's are set to AP.

I have the problem where my clients always want to connect to the furthest and slowest Deco.  It's exhausting to continue playing games power cycling certain Decos to make the clients jump the the proper one.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Why is TP Link selling Deco S4's on Amazon that are obsolete?
2023-08-16 06:49:33

@rwskinner 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I do not know much about local online sales strategies but for your current issue, there is a beta firmware for Deco S4 V2 which has added the feature to manually select the signal source for satellite Deco units and mobile clients.

Deco S4-V2-1.5.1

How to install the beta firmware:How to Update the Firmware of Deco (method 2 via web UI)

How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Why is TP Link selling Deco S4's on Amazon that are obsolete?
2023-08-16 12:00:47

@David-TP 

Thank you for the links.  I searched and never found that for the V2. 

I upgraded the firmware and now I have preferred connection for the wireless remote deco, but the Preferred Connection isn't available for any of the clients, which is what I really need it for.  Each client only has the option to change the name, or turn Mesh On/Off.  I made sure I had the latest Deco I-Phone app.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 611

Replies: 2

Related Articles