School Chromebook not working with Parental Controls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-11 03:58:14 - last edited 2023-09-11 04:11:17
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.1, 1.2.7

My son's school-issued Chromebook has no problems connecting to my network and it functions fine without being assigned to him.  However, once I assign the device to him in order to make the parental controls take effect, his device stops functioning; it just keeps loading any page he tries to navigate to.  I have Deco AXE 5300 (Costco) with the basic parental controls, not the paid plan.  His Chromebook has GoGuardian and Bark installed by the school district.  What can I do to make this device functional? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:School Chromebook not working with Parental Controls
2023-09-11 20:51:46

@carpentersm,

I am not sure how those two services function, so it is possible that something is interfering but you can try a few things:

1) After Assigning the Device to the Profile - Forget and Reconnect to the Network from the Chromebook (Did the Chromebook Reconnect as the Same Device Under his Profile?)

2) What Parental Controls Have you configured for the profile? Try removing some of the restrictions to see if the functionality comes back. Or Create a new profile with no restrictions and add the device there.

3) Try removing the Content Filters from the Profile, as it may be attempting to change a network setting that is forced by your school district.

4) Try Changing the overall DNS server that your network is using, such as moving to Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS server. These can sometimes provide a better connection, or solve problems with dropped packets.

Options
Re:School Chromebook not working with Parental Controls
2023-09-18 02:15:25

@Riley_S Thank you so much for your helpful reply.  I went ahead and made a new profile for just that device with no restrictions and then slowly added them.  I only use some basic content filters, specific blocked websites, and I have a bedtime set. I ended up with the same filters as on the other profile but the device was still functioning so I just went with it.  I added the blocked websites and he continued to use his device normally.  I had him disconnect and reconnect and there was no issue. I am not sure if there was something interfering with the other profile or what, but as of now this one is functioning.  Thank you again for your help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 280

Replies: 2

Related Articles