Does Deco M4 support daisy chaining (mesh topology not star topology)

2023-11-02 15:26:05
Tags: #Daisy Chain
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I came across this existing question but the TP-Link employee didn't actually answer it as far as I can tell:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/231574

I have 5 Deco M4s and I have connected the main one to my ISP's router.

The main Deco operates in router mode.

I have added the other four Decos and placed them around the house.

All four of them are connected to the main one via wi-fi and all show the wi-fi connection signal to be weak.

main

/   |        |   \

/     |        |     \

/       |        |       \

sat1 sat2 stat3 sat4

This is the current star topology that I am seeing and where all of the satellite Decos have the weakest signal indicator shown.

I would have expected the system to be intelligent enough to try and form a multi-hop mesh topology or let me set up the mesh rules by myself.

Neither seems to be possible.

Is Deco M4 capable of the below shown topology and if so, how can I force it to happen or configure it?

main -- sat1 -- sat3 -- sat4

\

sat2

I read https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/1450 and it seems to indicate Deco M4 can do a daisy chain and even shows it in one of the diagrams.

Why is my network not forming the daisy chain configuration when the signal strength in the star configuration is so miserable?

I bought 2 extra Decos on top of the initial 3 specifically to help the network form the daisy chain and improve the coverage.

BTW when I go to More > Network Optimization in the app it tells me the network configuration is perfect, yet all 4 satellite Decos show the weakest possible signal strength indication.

Thank you.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Does Deco M4 support daisy chaining (mesh topology not star topology)
2023-11-03 06:44:20

@tomashubelbauer 

Hi, could you please refer to this link to help me check the hardware and firmware version of your Deco M4?

If you are on Deco M4_V4, the latest firmware 1.1.1 does support manual selection of the signal source.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-11-03 08:35:39

@David-TP I believe you might have forgotten to attach the link. None of the words in your message are clickable for me.

Options
2023-11-03 08:52:28

@tomashubelbauer I wonder why it would be more intelligent to form a multi-hop mesh topology.  If the wifi connection between sat1 and main is weak, what would be the benefit of using it for all devices connected to sat1, sat 3 and sat4?

I would expect the daisy chain you show to appear in a situation with a stronger wifi signal between (main,sat1), (sat1, sat3) and (sat3, sat4).

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 560

Replies: 3

Tags

Daisy Chain
Related Articles