Assign ports to network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Assign ports to network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Assign ports to network
Assign ports to network
2023-11-07 03:34:40
Model: Deco   Deco X50-PoE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.4

The deco has 2 ports.  One is used for the link to the modem.  The other can be used for a switch uplink or IPTV.  It would be great if either:

1. One of the interfaces can support VLAN tagging, or

2. The second interface that could be assigned as an IoT (or guest, if preferred) network port.  The reason is that for some IoT hubs, they perform better when hardwired.

This would also require that IoT would operate on a fully separate IP network.  For IoT users, they may want to connect several wired devices, so the second port could then be plugged to an unmanaged switch.  Or if the interface supported VLAN tagging, a managed switch could be connected to get the same results.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Assign ports to network
2023-11-07 09:44:47

@Bill_I I understand that VLAN tagging is supported, either for IPTV or for backhaul of guest network.

I believe wired guests are not supported.

Options
2023-11-08 01:34:45 - last edited 2023-11-08 01:35:29

@yves_b,

You are correct, however, I believe that the VLAN tag for the guest network is not something that is openly available/usable. 

From what I can gather, the VLAN for the Guest Network backhaul is specifically that, a VLAN for the backhaul between nodes, and not for the actual guest network traffic.

I would have to see if someone has been able to successfully use the guest backhaul for traffic, but I do not believe that it is possible. We only mention the VLAN tags for the guest network as it is sometimes needed to properly forward the backhaul through a networking switch.

@Bill_I  As for IPTV VLAN tagging, this is something that is supported at a base level, as seen in this FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2421/

Options
2023-11-08 03:10:53

From what i can tell, there are 2 seperate vlans, one for regular traffic and one for guest, but these vlans arent tagged on any interface.  When an interface is connected to an unmanaged switch, the network used is the default network.  These vlans arent numbers from what i can tell and are simply routed and not tagged via any interface.  The ITPV network is tagged and the number can be specified via the custom option, but i dont knownif the IPTV option will allow regular traffic.  Not sure if there is a specific protocol stack that is assumed when its enabled.

Options
2023-11-08 05:39:36

@Bill_I

When using VLAN, there are two possible methods to assign packets to VLAN:

- by tagging the packets, individual packets are "labelled" with the VLAN ID

- by tagging the ports, each packet received on that port is assigned to the VLAN, and only packets belonging to that VLAN are sent to the port

If using a VLAN for IPTV, the packets are tagged between the Deco and the Internet, and the port is tagged between the Deco and the TV.

Options