Randomised mac addresses override parental controls

2023-11-18 22:09:14
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So, any relatively new smartphone or Windows 10 user has the option to randomise the Mac address.  This means that any parental controls are totally overridden on the Deco.

Black listing the device doesn't work as the network sees it as a new device.

There is no white list option and no method of requiring permission for 'new' devices to join the network. Essentially, so long as my young teen has the WiFi password, he can bypass ALL parent controls simply by toggling his phone/laptop to randomise the Mac address. If I'm constantly monitoring it, I can boot him off. But I have to work and sleep sometimes! 

Any updates on this issue?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Randomised mac addresses override parental controls
2023-11-19 00:23:21

@Prabhu82 

I looked at the emulator and it appears that whitelist is under advance/security/access control for the firmeare version I looked at. 
If that is not available to you, you may be able to put him on the quest network and control it. No ideal but may be workable. 

Options
Re:Randomised mac addresses override parental controls
2023-11-19 00:29:45

@Prabhu82 

If you went to Advanced --> Access Control and used the WHITE LIST and THEN allowed only those devices with the specific IP Address access, would that not stop connecting if the Private IP Address was use which changes the MAC address, but the White List would only allow the TRUE MAC address to connect. Then you could use Parental Controls.

Don't know it this would work, but it would be something that I would try?

This is the HELP for it:

e3c8420d730c43288f267de87d1414c9

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 201

Replies: 2

Related Articles