Cable going from Router to Switch keeps dropping down to 100MF from 1000MF

2023-11-30 17:09:50
Model: TL-SG105  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I have a new TL-SG105E and my internet speed keeps dropping down from Gigabit speed to 100 MB connection. I turned on flow control but if I try to force the port to 1000MF it will drop the connection. Not sure what to do as this drops down my PC's rate to 100MB even though the switch says it is operating at 1GB.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cable going from Router to Switch keeps dropping down to 100MF from 1000MF
2023-11-30 20:45:18

@TomKo44,

That negotiated speed is what is determine to be the physical maximum bandwidth given the current conditions.Normally when the speed drops away from 1000Full Duplex and your connection drops when forcing 1000 - the cause can be attributed towards the ethernet cable being used, whether it be a lesser standard or damaged in some way.

Try connecting via another ethernet cable to see if there was a fault introduced, which can happen from simply pulling on a port too hard, environmental conditions, or even winding the cable too tightly.

I would also make sure that your PC does support the full speed, as it is possible that your network adapter only supports 100mbps. Since the switch is reporting the full 1Gbps connection, I would also recommend trying other ports with the PC and testing the problematic port with other wired devices for comparison.

Options
2023-12-20 16:20:53

Riley_S wrote

@TomKo44,

That negotiated speed is what is determine to be the physical maximum bandwidth given the current conditions.Normally when the speed drops away from 1000Full Duplex and your connection drops when forcing 1000 - the cause can be attributed towards the ethernet cable being used, whether it be a lesser standard or damaged in some way.

Try connecting via another ethernet cable to see if there was a fault introduced, which can happen from simply pulling on a port too hard, environmental conditions, or even winding the cable too tightly.

I would also make sure that your PC does support the full speed, as it is possible that your network adapter only supports 100mbps. Since the switch is reporting the full 1Gbps connection, I would also recommend trying other ports with the PC and testing the problematic port with other wired devices for comparison.

@Riley_S 

The cable in question is a long CAT6 cable that I ran from my living room where the Fios router is located upstairs to my bedroom where the switch is located. If I reboot the switch it will go back up to 1000 for a while but will eventually drop down to 100. It will at times jump back up to 1000 on its own without me rebooting. I cannot force the port to stay at 1000 or it gives me an error and I need to reboot the switch.

Options
2023-12-20 17:26:22

@TomKo44,

If you can, test with another cable on the same port. Minor Faults do not always express themselves and sometimes only cause problems when trying to send data over the portion of pairs that have the fault. It may be that when the cable is communicating data and attempting to make use of the 1000Full that the fault is shown, which causes the error.

As long as both the client device (switch port), the router port, and the ethernet cable all support 1000 Full Duplex, you should be able to force the connection. If you cannot test another cable, I would maybe try bypassing the switch and checking the negotiation through a PC connected over that cable.

Options