Deco stop working when the WAN (Internet) disconnects on the main router

2023-12-01 14:07:08
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.3 Build 20230906 Rel. 59213

Hi TP-Link Community.

Searching the web I found this thread which describe exactly my problem. Unfortunately, the thread is closed with no answer. I copied hereunder parts of the text from the original thread. I'm leaving in Belgium (native language: french).

===============

I recently discovered that when the WAN / DSL / Internet connection on my main router drops, the Deco mesh stops working (led orange). Deco M5 in AP, Smart DHCP disabled (DHCP managed by the router).

I didn't think the Deco would be dependent on the WAN side of the router working and I'm struggling to understand the rationale.

================

My problem is that I have many smart devices connected to my wifi and I cannot access them anymore when Internet is lost: boiler, heater, ...

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco stop working when the WAN (Internet) disconnects on the main router
2023-12-01 19:57:24

@Sierandr,

Hmm. You may need to do some additional testing to see where in the line the problem starts. I believe that Decos are only dependent on the WAN/Internet connection for the initial setup process, they should be able to work without a WAN connection.

I would honestly start with enabling Smart DHCP (this is different from the DHCP Server and Automatically Configures the DHCP setting) - The behavior mimics the problems brought on by enabling the feature, so you may simply try toggling the feature to make sure that the setting was saved.

I would try to ping your main router or another device connected to the main router while connected through the AP.

Try pinging different 'tiers' of your network to see where the break in communication occurs.

Options
Re:Deco stop working when the WAN (Internet) disconnects on the main router
2023-12-03 16:25:26

@Riley_S Thanks, I will try this.

Options