Dual WAN-ing an Archer on repeater mode by using a WAN connection, or is there just LAN5 port?

Dual WAN-ing an Archer on repeater mode by using a WAN connection, or is there just LAN5 port?

2023-12-02 16:31:20 - last edited 2023-12-02 16:36:22
Model: Archer C54   General Product   Archer AX72  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.12.20 Build 230608 Rel.64891n(564E)

Hello there. I had a question about the TP-Link products, generally any Archer the TP-Link does literally sells.

I had previous encounter with several videos about my TP-Link product when searching for how to use a LTE connection as a backup link to the router but unable to find one on the net. So I have a idea to misuse the WAN Port for LTE backup link when the primary WiFi is down.

We got the Archer becoming an AP while bridging the WLAN, and the new list of primary routers had turned two: an 4G Router over WAN Port and any of existing primary routers, bridging 5GHz and 2.4GHz WLANs via the Range Extender Mode functionality.

For example, connecting an Archer C54 (AC1200) to a HTC 5G Hub by routing the RJ45 cable up to wall-mounted Archer there, while also KEEPING the Range Extender Mode for continuing to extend any range of one another Archer, or Huawei Router. For valid example there are just one another Archer C54 [ip: 192.168.0.1] vs. current Archer C54 [changed ip by: 192.168.0.2] from the 30m range. Why costing money for an RJ45 cabling on a range beyond 25+ meters when there is a Range Extender Mode on the router!?

Furthermore, I found out that the Archer C54's WAN Port is still just a dumb WAN Port, not yet converted to a LAN5, so there's a hidden AP Mode for the Range Extender mode. So there is a new idea - use an added wire to add LTE to the Archer.

Would it be anywhere possible?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Dual WAN-ing an Archer on repeater mode by using a WAN connection, or is there just LAN5 port?
2023-12-08 07:15:03 - last edited 2023-12-08 08:59:15

@fuskiye 

The document for LTE backup you're looking for is here.

Keep in mind that when C54 is configured in RE mode the bandwidth of the wireless link is halved due to the nature of wireless connection - half-duplex.

If you route an ethernet cable and set C54 in AP mode will give you best bandwidth and stability for your connection.

When C54 is configured in RE mode you can't use its WAN port as a "LAN5" port.

If you need a dual WAN router you may consider ER605 which has dual WAN port and 3G/4G USB port for WAN backup.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 325

Replies: 1

Related Articles