both WiFi and LAN stop working sporadically

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-13 00:09:49
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 180114

I noticed the last few weeks that sporadically Archer C7 v2 S-Ver = 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n will just stop working.  All the lights are on, but no wifi or LAN line connection.  It just happened again and I tried to connect to it to see if I could review the log file, but no luck.  To resolve the issue, I either turn off/on the power button or unplug and plug it back in, but the log resets when this happens.  Since there is no network connectivity I am not sure if setting up the email log file would even work when the problem happens.

Any suggestions or do I cut my loses and just buy a new one?  It is a 2+ year old Router, so it may be ready to be replaced, but I don't want to buy a new one if not necessary.  I read some blogs to do a factory reset, which is just like rebooting after a BSOD, so that really isn't an answer.  I would like to find out the problem, but if I cannot access the log, then I can't find out the problem.

I work at home and cannot have an unreliable network.

Thanks,

Johninslp

Options
2 Reply
Re:both WiFi and LAN stop working sporadically
2023-12-13 02:18:14

@johninslp 

that router is getting old. That firmware is May 2918 which is the newest available. 

I would try the factory reset before replacing it. I have also seen the ISP have issues that cause this issue. You can connect your computer direct to the modem and see if it fails. If it does, it is the ISP,  if not then most likely the router. Also change the cables especially if you have pets that may move the cables. If you have something in the USB port, try without it. 

Options
Re:both WiFi and LAN stop working sporadically
2023-12-13 19:05:16

@johninslp,

You should be able to see the errors in system logs appear in real-time, but this would depend on the frequency of the disconnects. 

I would definitely recommend performing a factory reset, as there could be settings from your ISP that need to be refreshed or were causing the disconnect to happen in the first place. You would be surprised what could cause similar problems.

To make sure, there is no Wi-Fi being broadcast and Your wired devices are not connected to any network when the behavior occurs?

What modem are you connecting through? If it is a gateway, is is possible that your ISP pushed an update that may have changed some settings?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 220

Replies: 2

Related Articles