Device Isolation not showing up on Deco xe75 network

2024-01-12 00:45:23

I have a Deco network setup, all devices are wifi 6, X20 or higher. All are on the most recent firmware updates. I'm trying to setup a separate network for my various IoT devices, but I need them to be able to talk to each other- hubs talking with local devices- but I want them isolated from my main network with phones and computers etc. 

I started with the guest network but it looks like none of the devices can see or communicate with the others. Can't stream or cast to TVs, smart hubs can't control switches. My Kasa switches, which I thought were cloud connected, don't work either.

I can setup the IoT network but from what I'm reading it offers zero device isolation, just an older/easier way for those devices to hop on the network.

I see several support articles that mention device isolation settings, and I see articles for much older wifi 5 deco units. Have they not rolled this out to the more modern wifi 6 gen routers yet?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Device Isolation not showing up on Deco xe75 network
2024-01-12 02:23:17 - last edited 2024-01-12 02:23:45

@Rprice54 

Hi, Could you please help me list the firmware version of your different Deco units?

I think some of your Deco might not support "Device Isolation" yet.

If the main Deco is Deco XE75, you should be able to see it under "Security", or at the bottom of the client settings.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-01-15 17:42:24

@David-TP 

i just looked at the firmware pages for each of my units, and device isolation isn't included for any of them. which is a little weird because they all have the IoT network and it seems like device isolation was released at the same time as that for other units but not mine. I guess the older gen devices are getting updated first.

I'm contemplating getting an omada router anyways at this point. The deco mesh seems to be more of a mesh-lite with training wheels and not a full featured setup. The IoT network, I thought, would be a great place to put all those devices that I wanted isolated but turns out it's just a less secure back door into my main network, which is really counter productive.

I'm trying to figure out of the guest wifi on the deco units in AP mode would be able to assign VLAN IDs or is it just going to function as the IoT network- just another way in without any kind of isolation?

Options
2024-01-19 06:44:59

@Rprice54 

Hi, Nice to see you again.

the guest network under wireless router mode is separated from the main Network. However, it is not under Access Point mode and they are isolated via Access Control.

There would be a separate switch to decide whether to "allow guest network devices to communicate with the main network" in Access Point mode. When it is disabled, The Guest devices can only communicate with the network gateway.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 225

Replies: 3

Related Articles