Some nodes using different wifi channels and band width

2024-01-23 14:10:28 - last edited 2024-01-23 14:18:05
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I don't know if it's related to a recent software update or if this is just normal behaviour but wanted to check.

I have two XE75 and two X90 units all connected in a mesh (wireless backhaul).

The X90 units got a software update yesterday and now seem to be doing their own thing when picking a wifi channel and channel width. As I am typing this, my two XE75s are on channel 149 using 80mhz and the two X90s are on channel 36 using 160mhz. The app is set to use 80mhz as I have too many issues with it switching away from 160mhz so I just decided to keep it there.

Is this normal? Do decos all on the same network pick whatever channel they want or should they all be using same? Same question goes for band width.

EDIT: I should add that one of the XE75s is the main gateway and the others are all connected as nodes. The X90s seem to be doing their own thing now.

Thanks.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Some nodes using different wifi channels and band width
2024-01-24 06:39:28

@cadz 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

Deco under the same Mesh network should use the same wireless channel and channel width.

May I know how you found out that " two XE75s are on channel 149 using 80mhz and the two X90s are on channel 36 using 160mhz"?

Can you share any pictures/screenshots here?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-01-24 12:54:10

@David-TP 

Thanks for the response. After about a dozen reboots, all the nodes ended up choosing the same channel and all switched to 160mhz. I am using an Android app called Wifiman to monitor each node.

When it happens again (because it has done this a couple of time now) - I will get a screen shot.

Thanks

Options
2024-01-29 22:51:43

@David-TP 

Here is my basement Deco using 160 while the other 3 are 80. See attached image. 

Options
2024-01-30 13:32:51 - last edited 2024-01-30 15:37:40

@David-TP 

This morning the x90s decided not to follow the xe75s to channel 149. Issue now is that roaming only works on decos belonging to same channel. 

EDIT: Rebooted all decos and now my x90s are on two different channels. So my entire mesh network's 5ghz band is using 3 different channels, two different channel widths over 4 nodes. Roaming is completely broken too. I can only roam between the XE75s which leaves deadspots all over my house now. 

EDIT2: So if I force the network back to use 160mhz, there is a 50-50 chance all the nodes will switch to same channel. If they do, it's fine until I am automatically switched back to 80mhz because the app claims there is radar interference. This happens about once every 3 days. It's only when it is forcing the network back to 80mhz that the x90 nodes decide to pick a random channel and width. And once this happens, all my portables devices like laptops and phones won't switch to the x90s anymore. Those nodes are adding nothing to the mesh experience when this happens.

c12ca17aa5124fed9a71013f2b4fbc0a

Options
2024-01-31 18:36:15

@David-TP 

Any thoughts on this? My Wifi switched to 80mhz again and now the x90s are doing their own thing again. The "workaround" for this is to constantly force everything back to 160 but clearly that is not a good solution since the app keeps switching it back to 80 almost daily.

Options
2024-02-06 20:13:10

@David-TP 

Still nothing? Guess I am on my own with this problem? I may have to switch back to my Eeros so that roaming between nodes actually works as advertised.

Not a happy customer.

Options
2024-02-07 04:30:27

@cadz 

Hi, Sorry for the delay.

Here is what I think:

For Deco X90, you might notice the following description on the Specification page:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/deco-x90/#specifications

5 GHz-2: 4804 Mbps (802.11ax, HE160)
5 GHz-1: 1201 Mbps (802.11ax)
2.4 GHz: 574 Mbps (802.11ax)

Tri-Band
Provides an extra 5 GHz band working exclusively as the strong backhaul, strengthening the WiFi coverage

The 5G-2 here mainly uses band 1 for WiFi Backhaul and WiFi network(l(band 1+2 if on 160mhz)). 5G-1 uses band 4 for WiFi Backhaul between Decos only.

So for Deco X90, The 5Ghz for mobile devices would only work on band 1 and it won't be on channel 149(band 4)

Band 2 uses DFS channels and if any radar-like signal is detected, it would switch to 80mhz.

If you plan to have a unique channel for the 5Ghz through the Mesh network, you could try to set Deco X90 as the main Deco. 

When Deco XE75 works as the satellite Deco, it will still broadcast 6GHz Wi-Fi.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-02-07 17:54:44

@David-TP 

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful. I did spend a couple hours today swapping my main deco out to be the X90 instead. This time I took the opportunity to have a wired backhaul for one of the units to help boost performance. I noticed as soon as I got everything back up that the wired XE75 was on 80mhz while the other three remained on 160mhz. I have not seen them move to different channels yet.

Unfortunately because I am using the X90 as the main deco, I no longer have the option to force the network back to 160mhz as this must have been a feature only available when the XE75 was the main deco. The only way I could get the rogue unit to switch to 160 was to unplug the ethernet and let us use a wireless backhaul. However, once I reconnected the wire, it went back to 80. This almost feels like a new issue compared to the first problem I had with units using different channels at the same time.

I rebooted and the issue persists. Is it possible that the software isn't telling wired nodes to follow the main deco's channel width? The wireless one was fine.

What it seems to me is that when the main deco switches width, the wired one does not follow.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 444

Replies: 8

Related Articles