WDS Bridging guest network?

2024-01-25 02:16:17 - last edited 2024-01-25 04:39:35
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an old Archer C7 AC1750 and I was told to use WDS Bridging function to connect to the main router a TP-Link AX21.

I had wanted to use the C7 as a wifi extender but was told by TP-Link employee that that wasn't possible.

I followed the steps in https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/440/

I have turned on the guest network on the AX21, and I am bridging to that guest network.

I have left the C7's SSID as the default TP-LINK_D902.

Changed the C7's wifi password to match the AX21 guest network's wifi password.

Doesn't WDS Bridging work for the guest network on the main router?

I get the error message Disconnected / IP configuration failure. on my smartphone.

Network status shows WDS is down.

Why isn't WDS Bridging working so that my smartphone can connect to the internet?

Options
8 Reply
Re:WDS Bridging guest network?
2024-01-27 02:24:45 - last edited 2024-01-27 02:25:07

@ieee488 

This is the correct guide for configuring WDS on Archer C7 - it's similar to a Range Extender mode in some other router models.

Make sure that:

1.LAN IP of extended router should be different but in the same subnet of the root router;
2.The DHCP Server on extended router should be disabled;
3.WDS bridging only requires the WDS setting on either the root router or the extended router - in your case only on Archer C7.

But you should keep in mind that:
WDS may be incompatible between different products (even occasionally from the same vendor) since the IEEE 802.11-1999 standard does not define how to construct any such implementations or how stations interact to arrange for exchanging frames of this format.-----From Wikipedia
Upon successful configuration the WDS status should be: Run

Archer C7 can be configured in AP mode if you can run a cable between AX21 and C7 - here's how to configure that (Case 2).
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-27 15:18:07

@terziyski 

Thank you.

That other guide which seems more specific to the C7 and was linked by TP-Link employee Ryan in his reply to my other post also has the same basic steps.

I followed it exactly. I set the C7's IP to 192.168.0.2  The AX21's IP address is 192.168.0.1

Unfortunately, the WDS status in the Status tab of the web browser GUI always show Init which means it is down.

I am wondering whether since the AX21 itself is apparently not capable of doing WDS Bridging and so that is why the Archer C7 isn't able to communicate with the AX21 for WDS Bridging.

Options
2024-01-27 15:43:37

@ieee488 

That's most probable reason because I tried building WDS with some AX series routers and I wasn't able to build a WDS as well.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-27 16:52:15

@terziyski 

I didn't even know that AX21 doesn't have WDS Bridging option.

It was only after Googling  TP-Link WDS Bridging that I read someone complaining that his AX21 doesn't have the WDS Bridging option in the firmware.

I bought the AX21 because several websites had reviews saying that it was a good budget router.

Oh well. At least I have the RE305 wifi extender, but I was hoping to make use of the Archer C7.

Options
2024-01-29 10:30:16 - last edited 2024-01-29 14:38:11

@ieee488 

To build a WDS only one of the routers suffice to have this option (C7 in your case).

The problem is that not always WDS can be built successfuly due to a different reasons as I already posted.

Options
2024-01-29 14:17:43 - last edited 2024-01-29 14:25:23

terziyski wrote

@ieee488 

To build a WDS only one of the routers suffice to have this option (C7 in your case).

The problem is that not always WDS can bebuild successfuly due to a different reasons as I already posted.

Right.

But I don't think it is a coincidence that WDS Bridging fails with the AX21 on one end.

It should work as it is a much newer router.

Options
2024-01-29 14:44:20

@ieee488 

I would say the same about AX21 - " good budget router ".

I personally use AX20 which is quite similar to AX21. AX21 even has a new case design which disipates heat more effectivly.

You can still use your C7 as an access point - here's how. This involves an ethernet cable between AX21 and C7 though.

Options
2024-01-29 14:49:10

terziyski wrote

@ieee488 

I would say the same about AX21 - " good budget router ".

I personally use AX20 which is quite similar to AX21. AX21 even has a new case design which disipates heat more effectivly.

You can still use your C7 as an access point - here's how. This involves an ethernet cable between AX21 and C7 though.

@terziyski 

The reason I want WDS Bridging is because I want to put the C7 60 feet away from the AX21 and I didn't want to pay someone to put in an Ethernet cable in the attic.

I have managed to get wifi extender RE305 working so the C7 is going back into the closet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 324

Replies: 8

Related Articles