Add support for wireguard?

Add support for wireguard?

21 Reply
Re:Add support for wireguard?
2024-05-06 15:17:11
  @Mmest55 

Confirm that the x50 model does not have the option despite being listed.
Options
2024-06-14 00:46:03

@littlejack I still cannot believe that there is no WireGuard on my xe75 Pro Router. This thing was not cheap when purchasing, and for a price tag like that for simply mesh, it should have all the more common features. WireGuard is quite common these days, and if this isn't added soon, I think I will just sell it and switch to a different brand. 

I have never had many problems, other than common issues, with most TP-Link devices, but this is ridiculous. People have been mentioning this more a LONG TIME and STILL, what....a year later.....nothing. These firmware features are not that complex to add, especially for a company like TP Link. 

They already got our money, we already bought the product, they don't care about the old stuff, they care about how to get more people to buy the new stuff. We are being brushed under the rug.

Time to start scoping out a new router...

Options
2024-07-08 06:27:01

@Riley_S is there any news about this - i've installed the firmware updates as they come up, but still have no WireGuard option.

Options
2024-07-08 09:28:59

@chris6785 I'm not sure I can fully agree with your statement that they don't care or that it is a very simple feature to add. Difficulty in developing these features can vary for tons of different reasons, and they haven't given me many reasons to doubt their claims other than the fact that it has been almost 2 years since they added VPN support. They have a ton of different models that all need to have security patches and such, so it may take a while for them to release such a feature, but as far as I can tell, when they do release something, it is often done well. I think TP Link in general designs their products faster than their dev teams can keep up, but when their dev teams do catch up and release a feature, it is done quite well. I was very annoyed when I found out there was no web UI, but luckily they ended up releasing it not long later, and it is a very well-designed web UI (all though it was a bit difficult to find someone that would point me to what the address for the web UI was). But if your unwilling to wait for new features or deal with a companies software, I would recommend building your own router. I have heard that it is not particularly hard thanks to the open source community, and I have even heard of people using their old routers as mesh extenders for said network using openWRT, but I am not sure how reasonable this is with the deco routers. Hopefully, TP-Link will open source their old, unsupported hardware or something of the sort down the road. Also, if you are thinking about using pfSense, I have heard it is pretty bad for wifi. 

Options
2024-07-08 11:35:47

@littlejack 

Are you kidding me ? I don't think it makes any sense writing comments here without any knowledge 

You talk about Deco's web UI and say it is a well built UI ? Is this a joke ? Do you realise that the web UI has absolutely 0 functionality and if you don't have the application you can't really do anything with the Deco ? So please explain to me how do you state it is a well built UI ?

Then you say that when they bring features they are super solid and well designed - well, let me tell you that recently I had engaged with TP-Link because of their VPN functionality that didn't work and spent several troubleshooting sessions with their engineering team and they have sent me a new firmware with several fixes that will ultimately be release to you guys - there you go ... your very well thought and designed features that don't work ....

I worked for companies that build routers and switches (market leaders) and I know very well how feature development works because I was responsible for it - if you take 2 years to bring a feature to general availability, you are dead as a company. TP-Link focus on trying to deliver new hardware to the public before the others - and this is great - but they should spend equal amount of time to deliver and maintain their existing products and make the people that bought them happy or else they will lose their existing customers and this will also jeopardize their future products 

Options
2024-07-31 22:47:39

@littlejack 

I have deco x55 HW 1.26, do they provide the weirguard vpn beta firewware to test ?

Options
2024-08-10 13:11:52 - last edited 2024-08-12 09:09:20

@littlejack 
was planning to reconfigure my Deco X50 from AP to router with WireGuard vpn server, just to notice that this option (WireGuard vpn server) is not available on Deco X50 (firmware "Deco X50(EU)_V1_1.4.1 Build 20231122")

However, after manually updating to firmware - "Deco X50(EU)_V1_1.5.5 Build 20240718" / Published Date: 2024-08-08, Both server and client for WireGuard are supported and working ! when Deco X50 is configured as router (not AP)

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/deco-x50/v1/#Firmware    

My Deco X50 is V1

Options
2024-08-19 05:36:32

@YoRay 

nope, I ask their tech support , they don't have ETA for it. I am so sad, only HW 1.26 does not have wire guard support , other two HW version already added the official support 

Options
2024-08-19 05:39:52
I gave up, ended up building a. Server with opnsense, which is now my firewall, router, and..yep...wireguard. So simple, highly recommended!!! Good luck.
Options
2024-08-19 10:40:37

Well, after almost 1 year of asking for support for this - here we are, nothing yet and nothing planned. Documentation is not accurate, showing several supported documents with instructions on how to do it but then most models and HW versions don't support it and there is no clear matrix on what supports what

I have X95, XE75 pro, BE85 ... these were not cheap and I asked for wireguard support years ago with documentation on expected releases with what features are going to come in each release with a planned release.

I spent a lot of time helping TP-Link troubleshoot and fix bugs for openVPN on the above models ... bugs that would not exist with Wireguard, but still, there is no wireguard support.

I don't understand how hard it is for TP-Link to understand the number of people that would benefit from this ... seems that making existing customers happy is irrelevant

Options
Related Articles