Access Point Mode + Guest Network = WISP Mode / Wifi as WAN?

2024-02-19 20:57:57
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.09 Build 20211231

I posted about this a few years ago and still don't have a solution. But now I'm wondering if there is a new way.

BACKGROUND:

I live in an apartment complex with free, fast WiFi that does not have a password or any security. I do not have physcial access to this router. have multiple laptops (all running Windows 10), a printer, and a smart TV.

OBJECTIVES:

1. Connect all devices to my router with its own SSID so that all devices need a password to access the router and that the devices are hidden from others on the free, public WiFi. Effectively, I want the public WiFi to simply be the WAN input for the router, where the router then behaves normally where all devices connected to it are given local IP address to network with each other.
  2. The laptops need to connect to the router via either a wired or wireless connection. They need to be visible to each other to allow fast transfer of files between them.
  3. The printer needs to connect to the router so that the laptops can print to it,
  4. The smart TV needs to connect to the router so that it is hidden from others on the public WiFi.

PROPOSED SOLUTION

1. Switch the mode of the Archer C7 from Router to Access Point. My understanding is that I should now be able to have the Access Point connect as a client of the public WiFi network. Is this correct?
  2. Create a password-protected Guest Network

Would this behave like I need it to? My private WiFi network that is working off the apartment complex wifi?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Access Point Mode + Guest Network = WISP Mode / Wifi as WAN?
2024-02-19 22:55:02

@squash 

To do what you want, you need a router that has WISP mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 130

Replies: 1

Related Articles