Why Enforcing Access Control of Guest Devices?!

2024-03-03 19:25:02
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.14

Take a look at Step 2 in the help.

I want to point out the totally inefficient default-enforced Access Control setting of requiring to whitelist guest device macIDs. The help clearly suggests AX50 should have a fine toggle to control whether guest network is/isnt under inflience of access control list. Recommend the following in order of priority and preference:

P1. add the missing guest acess control with thr next firmware update. 

P2. if the above is to be a prolonged delivery, consider changing the default to NOT subject devices added to guest networks to any access control whatsoever. Also update the help to reflect the newly hard-coded [temporary] setting.

NOTE: Please avoid updating the help by removing this step as a remedy. That is not considered a fix by any perspective. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Why Enforcing Access Control of Guest Devices?!
2024-03-03 23:51:52

@MartinUSusUsus 

I disagree with P2 as I want access control on all devices as I put some devices on the guest network that I want more control over them.

Options
2024-03-05 01:44:20

@ArcherC8 I can see your position, and so what 'bandaid' solution would you suggest to meet needs of both, short of doing P1. Tp-Link needs to consider a customer with a large family like mine and kids' friends from elementary through high-school, cousins and parents' friends, all coming in like its a bus station. On average, they come with 2-3 devices, cell, tablets, game pads, laptops for study sessions. 

To me, P2 is essentially a temporary request IFF P1 is going to take over a quarter or longer, for instance.

Nonetheless, the most pragmatic option (say P0), considering our needs would be to have two completely independent Access Control lists for Internal and Guests, instead of what the current help suggests the latter being a sub-option of the former. This way, one can enable both & whitelist the internal list whereas they can check peridocally and blacklist the guest list, without the need to be pestered about every single new device.

Any other options that you can think of? Regards,

MG

Options
2024-03-06 02:25:18

@MartinUSusUsus 

I agree that routers should have more control options for whitelists. Asus appears to have a separate whitelist by band (2.4 and 5) which may not work as you may not be able to split your devices by band that need control or not. 

One thing that may work is using an extender in your network. Google "tp link extender whitelist" as it appears that it is separate from the routers whitelist.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 145

Replies: 3

Related Articles