Advice on how to configure a Archer BE550 and Deco BE10000 as Access Points

2024-03-06 16:57:53
Model: Deco BE65   Archer BE9300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I am trying to get some advice on how to best configure Archer BE550 and (3) three Deco BE10000 as Access Points. Each of the three Deco devices have a hard wired uplink to the Archer router.

Currently, the Deco devices are in "Router Mode". The performance, as measured by internet speed tests are ok.

But the Deco devices assign IP address to clients in the 192.168.68.x, while the Archer BE550 assigns clients in the 192.168.0.x rangle. I would like all clients to be in the same range of the Archer 192.168.0.x.

So first I attempted to change the three Deco to "access point" mode. That was easy enough from under the advance setting. And all clients on the Deco then fell into the range of the Archer Router of 192.168.0.x.  There were two problems created however.

1. Only one of the uplinks between the three Decos seemed to be used.
  2. The three Deco seem to still be meshed rather than individual access points each with their own uplinks.
  3. In Access Point mode, there seemed to be a significant WiFi degradation on some clients where internet speed tests went from 200GB+ to less than 10GB! This degradation disappeared as soon as I change the Deco back to router mode!

.I attempted to remove all three Deco devices from the DECO android app, and readd them but they always seemed to appear as a single mesh of three device together even if I attempted to create net networks.

So obviously I am doing something very wrong.

What is the procedure to setup the three Decos as three individual access points that each use their own individual uplinks back to the Archer 550 router?

Thank you in advance!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Advice on how to configure a Archer BE550 and Deco BE10000 as Access Points
2024-03-07 06:25:47

@FlameRed 

Hi, are all three BE65s in the same kit or they are three individual purchase?

The units in the same package(like a twin-pack Deco X50) are pre-configured. When one unit is setup successfully, the other units within the wifi range will be added to the Mesh system automatically.

" Each of the three Deco devices have a hard-wired uplink to the Archer router", are they connected directly to the different Ethernet ports on Archer BE550? or via a network switch?

For the network diagram like:

dc7866eed32c4ccea4ad810d7f0ff1c3

Three Deco units are in AP mode and under the same Mesh network. They will use their separate unlinks to communicate with the front router so the internet bandwidth is not limited to the main Deco.

"In Access Point mode, there seemed to be a significant WiFi degradation on some clients where internet speed tests went from 200GB+ to less than 10GB! This degradation disappeared as soon as I change the Deco back to router mode!"

The maximum bandwidth of Archer BE550 is up to 2.5Gmbps. I was a little curious about how you could achieve 200GB+/10GB.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-03-07 16:00:46

David-TP wrote

@FlameRed 

Hi, are all three BE65s in the same kit or they are three individual purchase?

The units in the same package(like a twin-pack Deco X50) are pre-configured. When one unit is setup successfully, the other units within the wifi range will be added to the Mesh system automatically.

" Each of the three Deco devices have a hard-wired uplink to the Archer router", are they connected directly to the different Ethernet ports on Archer BE550? or via a network switch?

For the network diagram like:

dc7866eed32c4ccea4ad810d7f0ff1c3

Three Deco units are in AP mode and under the same Mesh network. They will use their separate unlinks to communicate with the front router so the internet bandwidth is not limited to the main Deco.

"In Access Point mode, there seemed to be a significant WiFi degradation on some clients where internet speed tests went from 200GB+ to less than 10GB! This degradation disappeared as soon as I change the Deco back to router mode!"

The maximum bandwidth of Archer BE550 is up to 2.5Gmbps. I was a little curious about how you could achieve 200GB+/10GB.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Thank you very much David-TP for the reply.

Yes, the three DECO were purchased as a three pack.

Regarding the ethernet links from each DECO to the BE10000. What you have listed in the diagram as the ISP WiFi Router is the new Archer BE5550. I see I did have some of the ethernet connections via a 2.5GB switch, so I moved all three to the three ports on the Archer 550. I then rebooted all three DECO. After they came back up, I switched the DECO from Router mode to AP mode. When the DECO came back up, the DECO app showed that only the main DECO was using eithernet, and the other two were connected to each other via wifi just like in Router Mode Perhaps this App just does not show the Ethernet links properly but they are actually in use in AP Mode?

I then repeated the speed test and under AP Mode, the results were again under 10GB. I switched the Deco back to router mode and the speed test results were close to 200MB again. I did NOT change the mode of the Archer BE550, which was always under ROUTER mode.

I configured both the Archer BE550 and Deco BE10000 to use MLO and these speed tests are done using MLO. I also tried the 2.4/5Gh SSID and the speed test was similar. I am not sure why the speed test slows down so much under AP Mode on the DECO.

Options
2024-03-07 20:52:24
After hours of frustration, I cured the issue. I removed the Archer BE550 and used one of the DECO BE10000 in it's place. I will return the Archer and buy another BE10000 to get full mesh coverage. All issues seemed to disappear.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 784

Replies: 3

Related Articles