BUG: DHCP DNS settings applying to guest network

3 weeks ago
Model: Deco BE95  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.15

By placing clients on the guest network, you are going out of your way to keep them away from the main network. If I run a DNS server on my main network it makes sense that the DNS server setting from DHCP is sent to all clients on that network.

What does not make sense is to have the GUEST network also use these same settings. If the DNS server is on the main network, guests cannot access it and are dead in the water.

What needs to happen,

• Pass the internet DNS settings down to clients on the guest network.
    • This could have a auto routing thing where if the DNS settings are in the main network which it would know by the IP ranges then automatically point guests at the internet DNS values.
  • Or
  • Provide a section to manually edit the DHCP DNS values for guest connected clients.

I could probably think of at least one more setting that would be way better than the current solution later but for now these two stand out. If I can think of another I'll add it too, or I hope other smart folks can comment here with their suggestions.

I hope this gets acknowledged and auctioned. Based on the cost of entry to the BE95 and this being broken to me I am near returning them and going with a different brand entirely.

Options
4 Reply
Re:BUG: DHCP DNS settings applying to guest network
3 weeks ago

@MattyMkFly Is your Deco configured in Router mode or in AP mode?

Options
3 weeks ago

@yves_b router mode. 

Options
2 weeks ago

@MattyMkFly    Absolutely agree, 100%.  I'm in the same situation and I imagine many others are also.  Either of the alternative options you propose seem to be workable too. 

Options
a week ago

@MattyMkFly I also agree and have had this issue for years and just stopped using my DNS server temporarily. 

Would suggest your proposed solution is an adequate workaround, but a workaround nonetheless. To properly address requires the the ability properly configure and enable subnet-wide settings as you do for the primary subnet.

Perhaps your workaround as cheap is and easy. If so, sure. That doesn't negate the fact that I should be able to specify the DNS on a per subnet basis. 

Thanks for proposing it. I'm surprised that this glaring oversight that makes a configuration available in the UI on usable for guest networks still remains after so long. As my needs for a DNS server continue to grow, I will have to look elsewhere if this isn't fixed. 

Options