Archer55 as Access Point vs Router

2 weeks ago
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20231130 rel.36135(5553)

I purchased this router to provide better wifi in a part of my home and I can connect it using and eithernet cable.   Is there any reason to set the router to Access Point mode?  I have it set up and it seems to be working fine without enabling Access Point mode.

Thank you.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer55 as Access Point vs Router
2 weeks ago

@Zebra789 

Most just use router mode. AP mode is used when you connect the router to another router or to a gateway (combo router modem).

Options
2 weeks ago

@ArcherC8 ,   That is exactly my question.  There is an ethernet cable that runs from my homes FIOS modem\router to the up stairs and the Archer 55 is connected to this.   Any reason not to keep the Archer 55 in router mode vs Access Point?

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Zebra789 

In router mode, the AX55 uses NAT for the LAN clients.  In AP mode, NAT is not used and the main network is simply extended.  Using the AX55 as a downstream router makes your network devices use double NAT which can cause problems on some devices.  If you are not having any connection issues, the router mode is fine and will also give you more control over your network.

If you decide to use the AP mode, most users disable the DHCP server and let the main router handle the network addressing.

Options
a week ago

@jra11500 

Thank you :->

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 85

Replies: 4

Related Articles