Wiring Multiple Deco Units

2 weeks ago
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.9

Appreciate everyone's patience on this possibly dumb question smiley

I purchased the 3-pack of the XE75 Pro units, and have a question about the way to hardwire them. I have the main unit in my basement, connected to my fiber modem via Cat6 cable. I have 2 satellite units upstairs, also connected directly to my fiber modem via direct Cat6 cable. I have a switch that is fed directly by my fiber modem as well, that feeds my other 6 network drops in various rooms. None of the Deco units are fed from the switch. I am running the setup in Access Point mode and not Router mode.

My question is: Is this ia viable setup for wired backhaul? From the app, it looks like the 2 satellite Deco units are all still connecting wirelessly to the main Deco unit and not using the individual feeds from the fiber modem.

Originally, I tried feeding the switch from my main Deco unit, and had the 2 satellites connect to the switch, but that didn't change anything either in regards to backhaul that I could tell.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the entire premise here, but my intention was to have each Deco unit have a wired feed to mitigate wireless usage from unit to unit. Appreciate any input/advice.

Options
20 Reply
Re:Wiring Multiple Deco Units
2 weeks ago

@CDH70  Your Deco nodes probably connected wirelessly because I believe they should be connected to a LAN port on the main unit (connected to router), either directly or (per my understanding), through the switch.  If you can access the configuration settings there may be an option to switch to Ethernet Backhaul that you need to toggle now that you seem to have connected it to a LAN through the switch.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@jzchen Thanks for responding. There is no configuration setting to turn on/off backhaul, as the Deco units are supposed to automatically switch to it. I had my main Deco running directly from my modem, then feeding a switch and had my other 2 Deco units running off that switch. No dice. I have now tried connecting all 3 Deco units directly to my modem. No dice. All of my drops are 1 jack, so I don't really have a way to wire Deco 1>Deco 2>Deco 3 that I can tell.

TP-Link Support is horrific, off-shore trash, and is worthless. Not only do they just point me to the support pages I have already looked at, you never get the same person and they continuously ask for information that I have already provided. They can't tell me specifically what 16-port, rack mount switch of theirs I could try in order to get backhaul working, and searching for any switches that support ieee 1905.1 is fruitless. My main switch is a Netgear JGS524 which is feeding 9 of my 10 network drops.

Options
2 weeks ago

@CDH70 

Google this support article please and hopefully the steps work:

General Questions About the Ethernet Backhaul Feature on Deco Mesh Systems

Options
2 weeks ago
Been there, done that. No dice. According to TP-Links guide/article: "When the Deco is configured in Access Point mode, you can wire satellite Deco nodes to any Deco unit, or the main modem/router." Seeing as how I have them all wired to my modem, I have no idea why they are still connecting wirelessly to each other.
Options
2 weeks ago

@CDH70 

You did not tell what occurs when you plug Deco 2 and/or Deco 3 to Deco 1, directly and via the Ethernet cables in the walls.

Options
2 weeks ago

@CDH70 This looks like a valid usage of Deco in AP mode.
The app should show the two satellites connected by wire (not by wifi) to the main Deco.  The app will always show only the main Deco as connected to the Internet.

Options
2 weeks ago

@yves_b I connected Deco 1 to Deco 2 via ethernet cable, with no change in connectivity. I am unable to daisy chain all 3, as I only have 1 jack at each network drop.

Options

@yves_b All Deco units are connected directly to my modem via Cat6.

a035c43aed8844cdb33ef95744825095

Options
2 weeks ago

@CDH70 In Access Point mode, the "main" Deco router will relinquish DHCP duties to a router ahead of it, but connected to the "modem/ONT".  When you wire the other two Decos directly to the "modem" they will not Mesh with the main Deco, as they are supposed to be behind, meaning two wires go into the main Deco, one from WAN, and the LAN to the other two.  If you try to set up all three connected to the modem/gateway, then try to set up Deco Mesh, the only way they can do that is wirelessly.

I need to check on the specs of that Netgear switch...

Options

Here's how I believe it should be wired: Fiber provides an ONT? Do you mind sharing which ISP? Did they provide you a router? ONTs are not routers unless you have service like AT&T which requires use of their gateway... ONT -> Deco (set up as router) -> Netgear switch (multiple connections) -> rest of house - (jack to) each of the other two.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 309

Replies: 20

Related Articles