Router in bridging mode

Router in bridging mode

Router in bridging mode
Router in bridging mode
2024-06-16 11:02:02
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

Hi.  I upgraded to a Netgear XR1000 Wi-Fi router for my house, and I want to use my TP-Link Archer C7 to both extend my Wi-Fi coverage and also as a LAN switch.

I reset the TP-Link router to it's defaults and connected its WAN port to one of the LAN ports on the Netgear router.  I ran the basic setup which all works fine, and I can connect devices to both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz Wi-Fi on the TP-Link and access the internet.  I cannot however access any devices connected to the LAN ports of the TP-Link router which I need to do.

I have to leave the DHCP service running on the TP-Link router for any of that to work, the second I disable DHCP and reboot the router, it becomes inaccessible and I have to reset it and start over.  I don't care what the IP addresses of devices connected to the TP-Link router are, as long as I can access these devices from my primary LAN.

I watched a video on YouTube showing how to use two Wi-Fi routers on the same network, which basically told me to 1) change the TP-Link router's IP to something different than the Netgear router (192.168.2.1), 2) disable the DHCP service and 3) connect a LAN cable to one of the LAN ports on the TP-Link router rather than the WAN port.  I tried this, but as I said above it becomes inaccessible.

I believe from what I've been reading that what I need to use is bridging mode on the TP-Link router, but I wanted to verify that here and get any advice on configuring that.

Thank You

Options
2 Reply
Re:Router in bridging mode
2024-06-16 21:47:16

@justanotherguy 

To be able to do what you want you have to follow this guide (Case 2).

Mind that if the Netgear router has a LAN IP address 192.168.2.1 you should set C7 with LAN IP address in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.2.254.

The rest of the steps are pretty much what you've described and it's included in teh guide mentioned.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Router in bridging mode
2024-06-17 02:35:00

@terziyski Bingo, that did it! I had actually tried that scenario but I tried to assign the TP-Link router an IP address within the Netgear's DHCP range - THAT was the key!! Never even hit me to use an IP within the same subnet but OUTSIDE of the DHCP range.

Thanks so much brother

Options