Deco BE95, No Access to SFP.

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Deco BE95  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.18

I have my BE95 set up as an Access Point.  When I insert SFP into my Netgear switch it is accessible via it's static IP 192.168.1.1.  When I insert it into the BE95 it is not visible and not accessible.  I tried rebooting the BE95 but it is still not accessible.  I also tried removing and reinserting the stick.

Is this because it is incompatible?

AliExpress

Seller PACBTECH

Item: XPON ONU Stick (MAC Inside) SC-APC

Thank you.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco BE95, No Access to SFP.

This morning I tried moving the LAN uplink from the other 10 Gb Ethernet port to a 2.5 Gb Ethernet port, thinking it may require the 10 Gb Ethernet/SFP+ to be WAN, and rebooted.  No luck still can't access the static 192.168.1.1 .

The Netgear switch model is XS508M, (where it's fully accessible).  It also has a combo 10 Gb Ethernet/SFP+.

Options

@jzchen 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

May I know who is your internet service provider? Is the XPON ONU Stick recommended by the ISP to replace their provided Home Fiber gateway?

I think if you plug the XPON ONU Stick into Deco, BE95 needs to work in wireless router mode and connect to the ISP optic distribution box, such as the Case one mentioned here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/670002

I notice Netgear XS508M is a Unmanaged Switch, so is your network topology going to be:

ISP optic distribution box---(XPON ONU Stick)Deco BE95---<Ethernet>XS508M

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP  Thank you for the quick response!

My provider does not approve of bypassing their provided residential gateway, so I'm afraid I'm going to omit the company...

I guess I was kind of surprised that the BE95 does not provide access to the SFP+ port as just another Ethernet port.  I guess indirectly I (now) want to make sure it is functional, working as designed, and not defective.  I can see the SFP connected on the router device/client list and I suspect RJ-45 devices connected to the TP-Link would/should show up as well, and I figured if it's RJ-45 or SFP then either way it should show up as a device, (while the BE95 is in Access Point mode)?  If I switch the BE95 to Router Mode, (which was the ultimate goal,) then since it's LAN IP address is a typical DHCP assigned address the BE95 forces a different subnet and I'm guaranteed not able to access the SFP.  (So the goal was to configure it while in Access Point Mode, reboot the BE95 into router mode, and then remove the ISP gateway).

I'm not one who typically breaks the rules, but I asked on the Discord chat dedicated to bypassing how often I'd need to reinstall the gateway to regain service, and I was told from their collective experiences, never, which is what compelled me to try in the first place.  I'm not sure I've completely given up on trying to be honest...

But I have a possible non-questionable use in mind since I've moved the Netgear switch from an upstairs communication box downstairs just a few feet from the BE95.  I could try to connect the SFP+ port on the BE95 to the SFP+ on Netgear switch as a 10 Gb uplink.  (I'm pretty sure that's a completely kosher use of them).  Would I be able to find a way to confirm the port is not bad somehow?  I guess a concern is the SFP may be compatible with Netgear, or TP-Link, and not both?  I have no other SFP+ ports to test whether I get a bad SFP - SFP, (sorry for going blank on what these are named).

Options
a week ago

@David-TP You are correct the hope was to use the SFP ONU/ONT stick to replace the gateway.  I'm not sure I will try to continue that as my summer classes just started and don't want the hassle...

I found this TL-SM5110-SR.  Now thinking of purchasing 2.  Also 62.5/125 Duplex LC to Duplex LC (2M length) cable.  Then I can actually use the SFP+ ports for 10 Gb full duplex?  Or am I better off just using RJ-45 Ethernet?

Thank you.

Options
a week ago

@jzchen 

Hi, Thanks for the details.

It is possible to use a third-party Optical Network Terminal/PON ONU Stick with your Internet Service Provider (ISP). However, some ISPs may require specific modem models or configurations to work with their network. Usually, you will find some pre-sales Q&A and use reviews about the Compatibility under the product links, such as https://www.fs.com/products/133619.html

Compared with using PON ONU Stick, Fiber SFP Modules/ SFP optical transceivers like TL-SM5110-SR(often works in pairs) are better ways to test whether the SFP+ port works properly or not. Cooper SFP Models/Gigabit(s) Ethernet SFP Modules are also great choices and you only need one of them. The connected devices don't need to be an SFP+ switch. The NAS or Desktops would be fine.

Moreover, the Fiber/Cooper SFP Models are used to provide local LAN connections. They will not mess up with the WAN internet connection from the fiber ISP.

Thank you very much and Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 92

Replies: 5

Related Articles