When configured as an access point, the wireless network appears twice

2024-06-23 19:31:23
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

My main router has a wifi network.  I configured the Archer AX55 to act as an access point. An ethernet cable runs from the main router to the Archer AX55. I used the Tether app to configure the wifi network on the access point to have the same name and password as the wifi network on the original router.  However, the network appears twice and is acting like two separate wifi networks. When using my laptop, I need to choose which of the two identically named networks to connect to.  Does anyone have an idea about what I'm doing wrong?  Since I've configured the Archer AX55 to be an access point, I was expecting the wifi network to behave as a single network everywhere in the house.

Options
1 Reply
Re:When configured as an access point, the wireless network appears twice
2024-06-25 21:15:46

@Alan-65 

It has been a while since I  used an AP. 

Be sure all the setings are the same such as mode and security settings. Do not recall if hiding ssid makes a difference but they are handled differently by the router. I do not hide ssid as hiding is more of a security risk per Apple. 

I prefer to use different ssid names so I have better control over what devices connect to which network. I do not use smart connect either.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 124

Replies: 1

Related Articles