Deco Scheduled Reboot not universal

2024-08-17 16:43:53 - last edited 2024-08-20 04:22:32
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

TL; DR: I want to reboot ALL my Deco units, preferably on a schedule

UPDATE (see end)

I have a setup that covers three buildings, with the X50-Outdoor on Ethernet behind an OpenWRT router in Access Point mode as the "Main" device, and X55s in various places (two in one building, connected together by Ethernet, one in another part of the building with the X50). I also have a POE doorbell with a POE injector connected to one of the X55s connected to each other.

Building1 Wired: Cable Modem --> OpenWRT --> PoE Injector --> X50-Outdoor 

[also wired: OpenWRT --> PoE Injector --> PoE doorbell1 ]

Building1: X55 in another part of building (probably not needed anymore -- originally to provide signal for a WiFi doorbell recently replaced with a wired PoE doorbell.)

Building2 Wired together: X55 upstairs --> X55 downstairs --> PoE injector --> PoE Doorbell2

Building3 covered well by X50-Outdoor

All three of the X55s can "see" the X50-Outdoor, but connected together it appears the upstairs unit primarily makes the connection back to the Main building. (The app is not precise about how clients actually connect when using an Ethernet backhaul between two X55s.)

I have always had the system on a reboot schedule, but this week I had trouble with a so-called smart thermostat. One of the troubleshooting steps was to reboot the network, which is "easy" using the reboot option in the Android Deco app. It didn't help.

Apparently that button in the app only reboots the Main device, because after days of trying other things, I finally used the app to go through and individually reboot each X55, and when I got to the X55 the thermostat was apparently connected to, it resolved the connectivity problem. (The thermostat reported that it had good WiFi signal, but wasn't connected to its manufacturer's cloud.) It happened to be the same Deco with the doorbell connected to it. The doorbell camera had been getting slower and slower to respond but I didn't suspect the Deco being the problem until the reboot made everything better.

Is there any way to send one signal that ACTUALLY reboots the non-Main devices? Is there a way to put the non-Main devices on a reboot schedule?

All the devices are reportedly on the latest firmware:

X50 Outdoor: 1.2.5 Build 20231121 Rel. 68541

all X55s: 1.5.1 Build 20240417 Rel. 52783

I am not certain but I think all the hardware is V1.

UPDATE: My brother has an X55 only Deco network, and his Deco app shows that he can reset all or individual Deco units. SO this issue MUST be a limitation of the latest 2016 firmware for the X50-Outdoor. What a disappointment! Will I get an update that gives me this option?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco Scheduled Reboot not universal
2024-08-18 00:52:30

@Conway-TWT I looked through firmware notes and the X50 - Outdoor does support a reboot schedule so I don't know why it doesn't work when mixing different models....

Options
2024-08-18 05:22:31 - last edited 2024-08-18 05:28:09

@jzchen sorry I didn't make it clear. Yes it has a reboot schedule, but only for itself. You cannot automatically have the other devices reboot on the same schedule. My brother's network without an X50-Outdoor seems to have the option to reboot everything, though I admit I didn't see him schedule it so I cannot be sure.

My difficulty arose because only the X50 was rebooting weekly, and one of the X55s developed some sort of problem and a reboot of that device was needed, but the main "reboot" button in the app didn't affect it, nor was it clear that it didn't. You have to drill down to the menus for each device to find a separate reboot option. I can do it, but I'm likely to neglect the task 

This behavior is apparently completely dependent upon the firmware available for the X50-Outdoor.

Options
2024-08-18 12:56:33

@Conway-TWT Thank you for clarifying.  I (kind of) understood you were trying to set up an automatic reboot schedule, vs manually going in and rebooting the trouble X55.  I noticed you have an OpenWRT router, then the X50 outdoor as primary Deco.  (If I'm mistaken please correct me).  I can't help but wonder if what you are trying to accomplish would work if you place a X55 in between the OpenWRT router and the X50 Outdoor, then set it up as primary....

I'm afraid I have a single Deco, a BE95, and have yet to add any other so I am practically experienceless...

Options
2024-08-20 04:10:28 - last edited 2024-08-20 04:17:19

jzchen wrote

I can't help but wonder if what you are trying to accomplish would work if you place a X55 in between the OpenWRT router and the X50 Outdoor, then set it up as primary....

@jzchen Interesting idea.

I neglected to mention I have the radios turned off on the OpenWRT router to avoid interference, so I'm only using it for its wired router. Essentially I have a Deco-only WIRELESS network. I use the OpenWRT router for traffic shaping, DNS, and monitoring the UPS battery.

As I mentioned earlier I started with a set of 3 X55s and now I essentially have a "spare" X55 that I probably no longer need. My main concern would be whether it might interfere with the (apparently now working well) X50-Outdoor because of the space I have -- the cable modem, router, PoE injector for the X50-Outdoor, PoE injector for the doorbell PLUS moving the spare X55 (and its associated patch cables) into the same area, which is not far from the X50-Outdoor (through a glass window next to the porch where the X50-Outdoor is hanging). Might having the Deco transmitters less than ten feet apart cause a problem?

In any case I have some other projects going so I probably won't get to to this for at least a week. When I started this post I had no idea the capability existed.

The suggestion of changing the main unit would be a decent test to see if I can kludge together a setup that works, even if it's a "waste" of an X55.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 163

Replies: 4

Related Articles