Unstable Wifi with Deco

Unstable Wifi with Deco

Unstable Wifi with Deco
Unstable Wifi with Deco
2 weeks ago

Hello, i'm having problems with our current setup. So it's for our house which is 2 floors. So here's the setup. 3 Deco M4R and 3 Deco E4R. I also have a AC1200/Archer C54. 2 Switches. 1 ER605 and 2 fiber optic routers from our internet provider running at 600mbps per router. The routers are in the 2nd floor. Basically, the setup is the 2 routers go to the ER605, then that ER605 then connects to my Main Deco, the M4R. Then the M4R then connects to my 1st switch which then distributes it to all other 5 decos. At random times it keeps blinking Red randomly and wifi keeps disappearing. Theyre all connected via ethernet. The 2nd one i tried was using the AC1200/Archer C54 as the one receiving from the ER605, then it connects to the switch where all 6 decos are plugged in. Its also very unstable and keeps disappearing randomly. Ive tried both AP mode and Router mode for both setups. Ive also now tried Having from 1 router, straight to the AC1200, then the AC1200 to the swtich where all the decos are plugged in. So basically all of them are all plugged in the switch.

What i want to try now if it will work is basically having 1 Router, to the switch, switch to the main deco, then main deco to 2nd deco, then 2nd deco to 3rd deco. From 1st to 3rd deco all ethernet backhaul since 3 of them are in the 2nd floor. Then having the other 3 downstairs connect to the first three wirelessly. 

I can remove the switch then have it directly go the the main deco too if that would be better.

Will putting a swtich per deco work? Main deco -> Switch -> 2nd Deco -> Switch -> 3rd Switch. This is because i have 2 tv's with each one of the decos that need to be directly plugged in via ethernet and the decos i have only have 2 ports which is only enough to receive and give internet to the next deco and wont have space for my tv. 

Thank you!! its been 2 months ive been trying to fix this. 

Options
16 Reply
Re:Unstable Wifi with Deco
a week ago

@MortalChief3 

I believe what you describe (a swtich per deco) will work.

I am surprised about "wifi keeps disappearing".

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@yves_b I did what i said i was going to do, but randomly the main deco connected via switch to the Main router, Wifi disappears. Whats weird is sometimes its blinking red, sometimes its solid white but, all other decos start blinking red. I have to restart the main deco for it all to go back to normal. Also during that time the router didnt lose wifi, and all other devices plugged thru ethernet to the router still worked via a different switch. Now what i did was directly connect the Main deco to the router no switch anymore. Is it possible the deco is the one broken?

Edit: All decos connected to the main deco via wireless connection, all near by each other less than 20 meters

Options
a week ago

@MortalChief3 

You wrote that the second Deco was connected to the switch connected to the first Deco (Main deco -> Switch -> 2nd Deco).

Now you write that the Deco are connected by wifi.

What is it?

As the Main Deco has an unexpected behaviour, I suggest using another Deco as main.
In the app, after selecting a satellite Deco, there is an action "Set as Main Deco".
The app will provide step by step instructions to achieve that. 

Options
a week ago

@yves_b Yes it originally was as i said, however the problem still persisted so i tried wireless, and the problem still appeared. So now i did what you said, i changed the main deco (M4R) to my other deco (E4R) and its in AP mode directly connected to the router. All other decos are connected wirelessly currently. 

Options
a week ago

@yves_b So now its almost every few minutes maybe 30 mins then it disappears. Like it says cant obtain IP or something then all other decos are blinking red then the main one is stable white. All our other devices are working which are connected directly to the router. All decos however dont. I tried putting it in Router mode but still the same

Options
a week ago

@MortalChief3 

It is strange that the main Deco stops its wifi signal.
Is it really the case?

You should be able to connect the phone to the main Deco, via wifi, and the app should provide you some information about the status of the main Deco and the status of each satellite.

AP mode should be more robust.

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@yves_b The app im using is "Deco" and all it says is "everything is good". Once it goes out i cant even access the app and i just keep clicking retry but nothing happens. Alright ill put it back on AP Mode

Options
a week ago

@MortalChief3 

Probably not relevant at this stage, but for your info:

Those two setups are not valid in router mode:

1. using the AC1200/Archer C54 as the one receiving from the ER605, then it connects to the switch where all 6 decos are plugged in.
  2. Having from 1 router, straight to the AC1200, then the AC1200 to the swtich where all the decos are plugged in. So basically all of them are all plugged in the switch.

In router mode, the main Deco must have one Ethernet port dedicated to connect to Internet.  No other Deco should be reachable via that port. 

Hence, some of the anomalies you described are expected.

Options
a week ago

@yves_b This is well noted thank you! but yes its already direct so its so weird why its still like this

Options
a week ago

@MortalChief3 

Some stupid questions, just to be sure:

1. you configured all 6 Decos as a single mesh?
  2. you do not have another wifi network with same name as the wifi network of the Deco?
  3. you do not have multiple systems acting as DHCP servers, possibly providing undesirable addressing info to the main Deco (and in AP mode, to the satellite Deco)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 299

Replies: 16

Related Articles