Is it possible to use RE615X extenders in AP mode with computer and no router?

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hi all -

I'm a newbie here and am looking for some advice. 

I have an older wireless router connected in access-point mode to my gateway computer (running Debian Linux, with a firewall and DHCP server).  The router is a Turris Omnia, about 4-5 years old.  Technically, it's a great router, basically a little Linux computer which does auto-updates periodically and has been fine except that it's WiFi 4 and has lousy range, and I have a pretty big space needing coverage.  

I have several rooms hard-wired into an Ethernet hub which is also connected to the gateway, of course.  Each of those rooms has its own satellite Ethernet hub/switch.

I would like to replace the wireless router (remove it completely) with two RE615X extenders, plugged into the satellite switches in the other rooms, both in AP mode.  I would like to set them up in mesh mode, so I only need one SSID each for 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

Is this possible?  Can I eliminate the router altogether?  Will the two extenders work in Mesh mode without the router so I can have one SSID for each frequency?

If it will work, is there any trick to setting this up?

Thanks for any help - much appreciated!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Is it possible to use RE615X extenders in AP mode with computer and no router?
a week ago - last edited Yesterday

@Dilligaf74 

You can use RE615X in AP mode with your gateway computer, but you won't be able to use them in mesh network since they don't support it when set in AP mode.

Here's a guide on how to position your RE's for optimal reception and performance.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Is it possible to use RE615X extenders in AP mode with computer and no router?
a week ago

Hi @Dilligaf74 

Welcome to the community.

EasyMesh functionality for the RE615X requires an EasyMesh-compatible Wi-Fi router.

Do you already have the RE615X units? If not, we offer other solutions that may better suit your needs.

If you are primarily considering the RE615X due to its discreet "on-the-wall" design, I'd like to point you toward our Archer Air R5. This device offers considerably more performance and bandwidth than a Wi-Fi extender and can operate in Router or AP Mode, and supports EasyMesh between two units.

Our Deco Mesh products also support AP Mode functionality if you aren't specifically looking for an on-wall design. For example, our Deco X55 offers more bandwidth and enhanced Mesh Wi-Fi features that help ensure seamless coverage. You can find the Deco X55 2-Pack on Amazon for a similar price to two RE615X units.

Please note that if you plan to use any of these devices in AP Mode, you will need a gateway or routing device to handle the routing within your LAN since Access Points alone cannot provide that functionality.

Options
Yesterday - last edited Yesterday

@Dilligaf74 

First, as others have said, you have to ensure your gateway computer (acting as router for all Ethernet packets, DHCP server, firewall) or some other device handles all Ethernet routing (of wired packets) for your entire network (including packets to/from both AP extenders). That is because, as others said, the RE615X can't do the required packet routing while it's configured as an Access Point. A traditional Wi-Fi router/Ethernet router does this. APs don't do this. So now, you need to provide this capability for your entire wired LAN, since you're removing your Turris router (it did the LAN routing).

After you've done the above, you can define the same pair of SSIDs for both RE615X APs (one SSID & password for 5 GHz on both APs, another SSID & password for 2.4 GHz on both) so that any roaming devices within your home will always connect to one or the other AP. Technically, this will not setup the APs as a "mesh" network but the above setup will give you some benefits of Mesh networks without having them actually operating as a mesh. (your informal use of the term "mesh" may have implied to others that you want/need a formal mesh network. To me it sounds like this is not one of your requirements, but you simply want devices to connect to one AP or the other, whichever is closest). This setup should accomplish what you want, but it's essential that packet-switch/router capability is somewhere on your Ethernet LAN (and both AP's are plugged-in/wired into this integrated LAN). More than likely, your gateway computer should do this, if it's configured properly.

If you encounter problems, most likely the gateway computer's configuration should be checked, to make sure the Access Points are being managed/integrated correctly (for example, maybe your LAN has more than one subnet: that overlap, are mis-configured, or your firewall won't allow traffic to pass between subnets).

Caveats/issues you should understand: this setup does not provide real "Mesh" networking features. For example, in your setup (as you defined), any roaming device that is in an area of your home where it gets signal from both APs will have difficulty staying connected to the same AP (since both share the same SSID, and since both signals are strong enough to connect to). In such areas of signal overlap, your device (e.g. a phone) will randomly swap between the APs and each time it swaps, your device may experience a few seconds (usually just a second, but up to 5 seconds while it establishes a re-connection). This random swapping between both APs is unavoidable, and is one of the reasons why true "Mesh" networks were developed. If your device/phone is buffering incoming data (e.g. while streaming audio/video), then you probably won't be affected by the swapping. But if your device is uploading (to the net), this will cause slight delays each time your phone swaps between APs. Also, if you don't have devices that roam within your house, this swapping will still occur for devices that are in a very narrow part of the overlapping area, but it should be less. It's difficult to estimate the effect of many local variables (like your house's shape, how its structure/furniture/walls reduce your signal strength in some areas, how you move within your home, etc.), so you have to try the configuration to know how well it will work in your home & local Wi-Fi environment. You may need to move one or both APs a few feet, or move one antenna on one/both RE615X, to optimize the Wi-Fi signals.

A note on antenna placement: Since each RE615X has two movable antennae, you can and should position them to maximize signal area (and minimize interference from objects in your home). Signals propagate perpendicular to an antenna, so position each antenna so that it "points orthogonally" to the areas you want to maximize signal (to your home's upper/lower floors). That is, imagine a giant flat sheet (a mathematical plane) sitting at the top of an antenna, and "aim that flat sheet" to the areas you want to have coverage. Do the same for the other antenna, to target a 2nd area for coverage. Make sure one antenna on each AP "orthogonally points to" the other AP (so they have strong signal between them). This last point is critical, for your setup to work reliably.

Hope this helps, and the setup works for you.

If this helps you, please click once on the upward pointing arrow. If this solves your issue, click on the star to mark this as a "Recommended Solution."
Options
Yesterday

@Ryan and @terziyski 

Thans very much for the reply.  Yes, I already have the RE615X units.  However, I was able to get things set up in such a way that the two do use my gateway coomputer for all of the necessary functions, and as @HelpingOne 

Bob

Options
Yesterday

@HelpingOne - thank you very much for your detailed reply, and I do have it set up exactly as you described.  The gateway computer performs all of the necessary functions - firewall, DHCP server, routing (I run my own DNS servers as well, and have 1.1.1.1 as a fall-back), etc. - and the two extenders use the same two SSIDs, one for 5 GHz and one for 2.4.  Yes, there is a slight lag when moving from one to the other, but the speed upgrade is worth it - up to 10x faster download speeds compared with my old router, probably will be even better when I have fiber access installed in a couple of months (waiting for the infrastructure to be finished around the city).

Also appreciated was the discussion of how the antennas are polarized.  Right now, I have one of the units handling the first floor and the other the second; both have the antennae pointed straight up, and it's working fine so far.

Thanks again for the very helpful reply.

Bob

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 137

Replies: 5

Related Articles