Enabling 6 GHz network makes 2.4 GHz clients unstable

a week ago - last edited Monday
Model: Deco XE5300   Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (XE5300) and 1.2.12 (XE75)

deco topology 2Deco mesh topology

I have a 4-node wired mesh consisting of three Deco XE5300 and one XE75. So the backhaul is wired using a gigabit network switch.

Everything works, unless I enable the 6 GHz network under WiFi settings. If I do that, 2.4 GHz clients drop off the network sporadically. If I leave the the 6 GHz network off, everything is stable for months ....

Why does this happen? And what's the fix?

I have the latest available firmware for the XE5300 nodes and the XE75.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Enabling 6 GHz network makes 2.4 GHz clients unstable-Solution
Monday - last edited Monday

@Corne_S 

I actually have wired backhaul, but I wanted to use a 6E client.

At some point of time, I'm switching to Unifi access points. This is my first Deco experience - the XE5300 was purchased in 2022, and the XE75 in 2023. It has been disappointing. Being unable to set the 2.4 GHz channel and bandwidth is ludicrous. It has played havoc with my two zigbee mesh networks. Not being able to use 6E is just more of the same.

Deco gear is cheap. And that's pretty much all it has going for it. But when you buy cheap you end up with a low-quality product. So I only have myself to blame.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Enabling 6 GHz network makes 2.4 GHz clients unstable
a week ago

@jam905 

Are both Deco devices using the same hardware version? You can locate the hardware version on the bottom of each device. 

Additionally, please note that the update option in the Deco app does not indicate whether a beta firmware version is available, so there may be an update available that addresses your issues.

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

535e0544a0d14210a7da48038e8dd6c6 

@HelpFixDecoApp 

There are 4 Deco devices. All three of the XE5300 are V1 and were purchased as a pack from Costco. The sole XE75 is V2 and was purchased from Amazon.

I should note that I have never been able to enable the 6 GHz channel; even before I added the XE75.

I don't know if there are any beta firmware updates, but as shown above, I am running the most recent release firmware for both the XE5300 and the XE75. How can I try a beta firmware?

Options
a week ago

@jam905 

I would try the following 

If you have multiple models of Deco, it is recommended to designate the new model (XE75) as the primary Deco and the older models as secondary units.

There are two methods to achieve this. Regardless of the option you choose, please ensure that your network is configured according to either the first or second examples in this image: https://static.tp-link.com/upload/faq/image-20240329074344-12_20240329144345n.png.

**Option #1 (Not recommended)**: For guidance, please refer to the following link: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2400/.

**Option #2**:

1. Reset all of your Deco units by pressing the reset button on each one.

2. Using the Deco app, set up your newest Deco as the main unit. Since you have factory reset each unit, you will be able to use the same network SSID and password as before.

3. Once the newer model is operational, return to the app and add the remaining Decos to your network.

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options
a week ago

@HelpFixDecoApp 

Ok - so I reset all 4. Then made the XE75 into the main/primary Deco in the mesh, and made the other three into wired mesh-points. 

Same topology as above - mesh points are connected to the main Deco via a gigabit switch. Everything works as long as only the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks are enabled.

Within an hour of turning on the 6 GHz network, two 2.4 GHz clients dropped off.

So no change in behavior. Any other suggestions?

Options
a week ago

@jam905 

Are the same devices consistently experiencing connectivity issues? When you mention that they are dropping offline, do you mean that they are completely inaccessible, or are they just appearing in your list of offline devices? 

I inquire because, in my offline list at the moment, all three of my door locks are indicated as offline; however, they are actually online and accessible via both Alexa and the manufacturer’s app that I utilize.

If the same devices are consistently dropping offline, it may be due to their incompatibility with the 6GHz band. Within the Deco app, there is an option to select the specific band that a device uses. Therefore, if these devices are repeatedly experiencing connectivity issues, we should configure them to utilize only the 2.4 GHz band.

Please access the Deco app and ensure you are on the Network tab. Next, click on "Online Clients."

Identify the devices that frequently go offline and select one of them.

Then, click on "Connection Preference."

Under "Preferred Wi-Fi Band," choose the 2.4 GHz band, and remember to click "Save" at the top.

Repeat these steps for each device that appears to be going offline, and inform us if this resolves the issue.

If the problem persists, we will assist you in opening a support ticket to investigate further.

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@HelpFixDecoApp 

Nope. It is different devices. The only commonality is that they are 2.4 GHz devices.  And I have already tried setting the 2.4 GHz network as the preferred network. I also tried setting a specific mesh point as the preferred access point .... none of this made any difference. To be fair, I haven't done this after I made the XE75 the main Deco. So I'll try it again over the weekend.

Options
a week ago

@jam905 

If you're still having issues after you try again please open up a ticket with support using the instructions in the post below 

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/694474.

Options
a week ago

@jam905  I have the exact same issue and only have XE75's in my set up

I used to have a combination of decos and thought standardising to one will be great, but it has negatively impacted my 2.4Ghz smart lights and devices negatively. 

Switcing on the 6Ghz channel improves my signal strength between decos, but my devices drops connection all the time so it's not worth it. Definitely needs some investigating as I have tried literally everything to stabilise my network.

Options
Re:Enabling 6 GHz network makes 2.4 GHz clients unstable-Solution
Monday - last edited Monday

@Corne_S 

I actually have wired backhaul, but I wanted to use a 6E client.

At some point of time, I'm switching to Unifi access points. This is my first Deco experience - the XE5300 was purchased in 2022, and the XE75 in 2023. It has been disappointing. Being unable to set the 2.4 GHz channel and bandwidth is ludicrous. It has played havoc with my two zigbee mesh networks. Not being able to use 6E is just more of the same.

Deco gear is cheap. And that's pretty much all it has going for it. But when you buy cheap you end up with a low-quality product. So I only have myself to blame.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 181

Replies: 9

Related Articles